Chapter 18

Misha quickly Controlled the chain, and before Lena could do anything, she was too high for anyone to see her, and then was pulled through the air. Lena’s stomach churned. The cage stopped short, and when Lena looked down, she saw Misha and Naran standing next to Ellevet and Rella. She was hanging about one and a half feet above the bunks in their dorm. Ellevet twirled a strand of hair around her finger.

“Well, well, well. Lena! How nice to see you.” Ellevet smirked.

“I wish I could say the same to you, but I can’t.” Lena said.

Rella had carrot colored hair and freckles, she looked like nothing compared to everyone standing around her.

Naran stepped forward. Just her very presence made you shiver. “Lena,” her voice was so slippery, cunning, you wanted to believe it even more than a Control if you didn’t get a hold of yourself. “You know, I am a Death Raiser.”

“So?” Lena said obstinately.

“And I train. I know the laws of the Death. I know how to bend them, and I know what they can do. I am a Death Raiser. I can raise people from the Death. I can bring myself back, and I can bring people back. Six times. And you know what happens the seventh time? I can bring them back, yes, of course. But when I bring them back, I bring back their body. I leave their soul. If I wanted, I could kill you six times, and bring you back an empty shell.” Naran’s eyes bored into Lena, “Don’t do the wrong thing with me.” she whispered. Naran’s eyes closed for a moment, and Lena felt a cold wind brush through her, taking her breath. Then it was gone. Naran smirked at her and stepped back. She wouldn’t actually kill anyone, would she? She was only thirteen… But she was a Vampire.

Lena felt the Control taking place again as Misha started it. She wanted to get down there and make her stop, but she couldn’t. “Leeeeena...”

“Yes?” Ugh! Why am I doing this? Again? Because I have to...

“What are you afraid of, Lena?”

“Heights.” Lena whispered.

“Afraid of heights…” Rella smiled at her once Misha took the Control off.

Lena opened her mouth in horror. “You know, someone will notice I’m not in detention…” she said as a feeble comeback.