Chapter 28

​ Lena loved reading. She could lose herself in characters problems and she could just forget about everything for a moment. Everything became words printed on paper, and she could just let go of anything that was bothering her.

“I have to pack. Not too many things, they can’t notice who I really am. When I am finally ready, Father will come home. I have two days until I leave. I’m trying to memorize the house, and everyone and everything in it. Mother finally told me about the people I’m working for. They are trying to find out who is still helping Vanessa and Slade. Atuck’s great great great great granddaughter is running the Agency. Imagine that! I mean, so what if it’s five generations down? It’s still so cool!

    I don’t know how they’re going to explain my disappearance to anyone, but I’m sure it’ll all be sorted out. I’m starting to regret agreeing to this. I mean, yes it will help everyone in the long run, but I’m scared. I’m actually really scared.

At dinner, nothing is too good. Mother keeps wiping her eyes with the back of her hand, I can tell she’s been crying. ‘It’s going to be all right!’ I finally cry out desperately.

‘Yes, of course it will be, dear. I’m just being silly.’ However, she doesn’t stop sniffling.

It is the day I will leave.

‘Write to us, Silver? Write to the Agency, but don’t forget about us. Please.’ Father says me as I’m about to go.

‘Yes, please do. You’re only thirteen.’ Mother adds.

I nod, and step up into the dusty wagon. We found the oldest trunk in about the entire universe, with the grossest peely outside that also happens to creak loudly when you open it, but it makes me look like I grew up being a servant I suppose.

‘Ready to be off?’ Givian asks, he’s another person from the Agency, he’s pretending to be a farmer in my town who will get me to their mansion.

I nod slowly. He starts the horses at a trot.

‘Bye! We’ll miss you!’ My parents call after me.

I wave and smile to my parents, but as they slowly disappear in the distance and I settle down, I feel a tear slip down my cheek. Will I ever even see them again? Of course I will. Anyways, this can’t be that awful. It’ll be fun!

The mansion isn’t the most... inviting, let’s say. Tall iron gates topped with spikes and armed guards are at the front. It’s a dreary day, with a heavily overcast sky. It’s late November, and there’s a definite chill in the air that gets into your bones and is almost colder than winter when it’s snowing.

‘Well I’ve taken you this far, Amondria! Have a nice time!’ Givian says in a weird accent, ‘Hop off!’

Amondria?! Is that what the Agency thinks my new name should be? It’s perfectly horrid, in my opinion.

A guard clears his throat. ‘Going to stand here all day, Miss Amondria?’

‘Oh, no! I’m here for a position as a maid?’

“Do you have authorization?” Another other guard asks me, sticking out his hand.

Authorization? No one ever told me about or gave me that! A slip of paper floats down past my eyes. I grab it. This must be it... I shove it to one of the guards.

‘Very well.’ He mutters something, and the gates open. I walk in slowly, and the gates slam shut. The noise echoes.

The door swings open when I reach it, and a girl a little younger than me says, ‘Come on. Quick!’ I follow her.

‘So, you’re Amondria...’ A woman stands in front of me. She has light blue eyes, long blonde hair, and is quite tall. She’s wearing a fancy gown and has lots of expensive jewelry on.

‘Yes.’

‘I see I’d better state the rules. First off, you will address me as Mrs. Menskive, and my husband as Mr. Menskive. My daughter is Miss Menskive, and son is Mr. Menskive as well. Is that clear?’

‘Yes, Mrs. Menskive.’

‘Good. Second, you will do exactly as you’re told, no complaining. Or else. You will not speak unless you are spoken to. After you are done with all of your daily work, you will never move from your quarters unless called. A bell will ring when you are called, and even if it is very late or early, you must come. Unless you wish to be... gone.’

‘Yes, Mrs. Menskive.’

‘Patricia will show you your room.’ She sniffs disdainfully, picks her sweeping golden dress up, and walks out quickly, followed by a couple girls dressed like her but clearly only a couple steps from a normal servant. They look only about eight.

‘Well, no time to lose, you’d better get some sleep when you still can!’ Patricia, the girl who opened the door for me says.

I push my trunk under the bed when I get in. It’s a worn out mattress with a thin blanket, but it’s better than nothing. It’s good I packed an extra thick wool blanket. Patricia walks out silently, and I fall asleep slowly.

A tinkle bursts into my dream. It takes me a moment to remember where I am, and then I remember. Miss Menskive appears in glowing letters on the door. I get up slowly, and walk the freezing halls with bare feet, finally finding the room.

‘What took you so long?’ A voice says loudly, ‘I’ve been waiting!’ A girl with shining black curls is sitting up in her four poster bed in a lacy white nightgown.

‘I’m... I’m new, and-’

‘Address me as Miss Menskive!’ She snaps.

‘Yes, Miss Menskive.’

‘So, repeat.’

‘I’m new, Miss Menskive.’ I say.

‘I need a new bed warmer. I can’t sleep. It’s too cold. Fetch one.’

‘Of course, Miss Menskive.’ I walk out quickly, and after another long while, I find where the bed warmers are kept. I warm the one I pick, and carry it back to her.

‘Next time be quicker. Or you’re out.’ She warns me snidely.

‘Yes... okay, Miss Menskive. Is that all?’

‘Yes. Leave. NOW.’ I head out of the room.”

“Lena!” Lena lifted her head out of the book at the sound of Calista’s voice.

“Yeah?”

“Get your head out of that world, we have to get up early to clean up and all that shit. I can’t believe we have to room with those girls...” Calista shook her head and got into her bed.

“Oh. Fine.” Lena snapped the book shut and put it on her bedside table. Soon after, she fell asleep.

AUTHORS NOTE: its like 11:30pm in NYC (where i am) but i had a crap day and i thought writing would help and it did. sorry i havent updated in ages there were tons of tests to study for bc teachers try to finish everything before break, and then there was tons of family stuff over break. A LATE MERRY CHRISTMAS AND AN EARLY HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL! VOTE COMMENT FAN!

ily

<3