Chapter 36

“Ugh. Break is going to be over, and we’re going to get back to school, and they’re all going to dump a huge load of homework on us, and then the dance will come, and I’ll miss it probably because of some stupid test, and all that.” Quoim was ranting on while eating a piece of barely cooked chicken, last night’s leftovers.

“Not my fault.”

“So? I can still complain.”

“True...” Lena said thoughtfully, twirling her chicken leg around in her fingers. Chicken really tasted a lot better when it wasn’t cooked fully, in her opinion.

“So, you got any idea of where Calista is?” Quoim asked.

Lena let her hand droop, and the leg fell onto her plate. “No… I miss her.”

“Me too.” Quoim answered in a small voice, and they didn’t talk for the rest of breakfast.

“So...” Lauren said, coming in with Gabrielle trailing her, “You two better get packed up soon, and you’ll be heading back up to school. The rest of the year is starting!”

“Can I? Can I, can I, can I? I super want it!” Gabrielle jumped up and down next to Lena.

“Gabrielle, stop. Ask someone else, please.” Lena muttered in a halfway mad voice. Gabrielle did not catch on.

“Everyone else will have one, and I won’t, and no one will like me, and then I’ll be sad, and then no one will like me ever, and then I’ll be mad, and then it’ll be all your fault!” Gabrielle stamped her foot, hard. The plates all neatly lined up on the shelf jiggled, “Voglio che mommmy, e ne ho bisogno, e non lo si dà a me, e lo voglio! Ma se non lo danno a me io non ho nessuno che come me e poi non sarò mai mai mai mai mai mai mai avere un amico e poi nessuno mi piace e che non sarà MAMMA BUONA! ! Ma ho bisogno che la mamma, io non solo lo vogliamo! Ne ho bisogno, come tutti gli altri loro esigenze!” Gabrielle hadn’t seemed to notice that she just started speaking Italian, that everyone was staring at her open-mouthed, so she kept talking, “Ich brauche es, ich brauche diese kleine Puppe! Nun, nicht wirklich eine Puppe ... Ich habe dir gesagt, aber ich will den Satz! Das Set! Wie das Ganze mit all der Kleidung, und ich möchte die Feinde, so dass Sorren mit mir spielen kann, aber ich wirklich wirklich wollen, so kann ich es haben, bitte?” And off she went again, in German she had been talking this time. She was very red in the face now, and suddenly saw them all staring at her, goggle-eyed. “Quid? Quid? Aenean at ego iustus volo a pupa, purus!? Volo, necessitatem, EGO iustus volo is! Can placeo haberet? EGO vere volo is! Suus 'vere maximus mihi!” She spluttered out indignantly in Latin.

“Will you stop it?” Quoim screamed at her.

“Stop what?”

“Never mind.”

“Cosa stavo facendo? Dimmi!” Italian this time, again.

“You’re doing it again! Stop!” Quoim clutched her head and ran out of the room.

“Come on, let’s get you back to your room, Gabrielle...” Lauren said as Lena left.

“Okej, men varför kan jag inte ha dockan som? Jag vill verkligen det ...” Swedish...

“I’m pretty sure I know what’s happening, Quoim.” Lena said hesitantly once they were in her room.

“Great, so do I. And you know what sucks about that? Sorren doesn’t have his Power yet, and he’s going to be complaining about how unfair it is that she got hers first for the rest of his life and I’ll be the one having to hear it!” Quoim complained.

“Well sorry about that.” Lena said, not exactly sounding very sorry at all.

“What’s wrong with Gabrielle?” Sorren rushed into the room on cue, looking at both girls wildly, “What happened to my sister?”

Quoim picked him up and carried him to Nadine’s room. Then she shut the door on him and stomped back to Lena.

“You quite annoyed.” Lena remarked.

“Good job, genius.”

“Why?”

“I just told you.” Quoim answered irritably.

“Okay.” Lena thought for a moment, then asked, “Hey, Quoim…”

“What?”

“Do you think I can see my mom?”

Quoim started, “What do you mean?”

“I mean like can I see her, or does she have to pass a test or something?”

“I think you can just… see her. But why would you want to?”

“What do you mean? Why would I want to? She’s my mother! Do you need another reason?” Lena snapped.

“Are you guys okay?” Nadine stuck her head around the door.

“No.” Quoim answered shortly, “Go away.”

“Whatever.”

“Can I?” Lena persisted.

“I don’t know. Ask someone else.”

“Thanks for all the help.” Lena grumbled, “I’m doing it anyway.”

“I’m pretty sure that you need to ask!”

“I asked you,” Lena replied snottily.

“But… seriously, this is dangerous. Your mom is already freaked out enough without you coming randomly in the middle of the winter and knocking on the door.”

“It’s my house, Quoim!”

“The house doesn’t matter, it’s the people in it who do!”

“Too bad. I’m going.”

“At least tell someone.” Quoim protested.

“Fine, I’ll tell your mom.” Lena replied and stalked out of her room to talk to Lauren.

AUTHORS NOTE: LALLALALAAAAAAA 16K READS & 500+ VOTES ILY <3 ok im going to do a chapter or some chapters from Calista’s POV I just don’t know where im going to fit them in yet :) okaaay bye bike riding time :D

tova