Chapter 34

“All right... Quoim Sentar! Nadine Sentar! Lena Kanstrofi! Your Transport has arrived!” Professor Parvivi announced as their mother walked up. She was tall and thin, with red eyes from excitement of seeing her daughters again, but from what Quoim told her, she was a Half and usually had Human-colored eyes. Two thick braids circled her head, like a crown. The braids were strawberry blond with brown streaks running through them.

    “Hi, Lena! I’ve heard so much about you! This was…” She walked off and they followed her. They stopped at a wall, and Lauren motioned to it, “You first, Nadine, see you there.” Nadine took a step to the wall, and then vanished.  

    “How do you do that?” Lena asked Lauren.

    “You step through the wall, it’s a Portal, and this one has been arranged to take us straight to our house. But ones outside of Full or Half Moon will take you straight to the school you went to, they’re only going to the Moon schools. Some let you go other places.”

    “How do you know if it’s a Portal? Outside of school, I mean.”

    “Oh, you’ll learn. Later.” Quoim stepped forward, and vanished too. “Go on!” Lauren gave her a little push, and Lena felt the stones of the wall become smooth, like water, and she stumbled out of it onto a grassy field.

    “Lena!” Quoim’s voice came out of nowhere, “Come and see the house!”

    “Got it. Okay.” Lena hoisted her bag up onto her shoulder, and let Phelicia go flying off, tiny replicas trailing after her.

She followed Quoim and they stopped in front of a little cabin. It was very wide, but the ceilings were very low, as Lena could already see. In the front yard, there were a couple of trees and a lot of flowers that seemed to be sparkling in the light. Quoim pushed open the front door, it was green with a tarnished knocker that probably used to look gold. As soon as Lena walked in, she saw a worn table with chairs and a kitchen. They continued back into the house, passing a couch and carpet where a seven year old boy sat happily along with a four year old girl.

“Bang! ‘Commander, sighted ahead!’ ‘Righto.’ Bangbangbang! ‘The plane split!’ ‘That’ll teach those Werewolves!’” The little boy dropped the plastic plane he was holding onto the carpet, and said without looking up, “I didn’t touch your music, Quoim.”

“Me either! Me either! Me either! I didn’t either, Quoim!” The little four year old stood up and trotted over to Quoim, looked up at her, and repeated, “I didn’t either, you know. I didn’t either. No, I didn’t touch anything!”

“Thanks, guys. And I get it, Gabreil, already! I know you didn’t touch my stuff.”

Then they passed Nadine’s room, Quoim and Nadine’s parent’s room, and stopping at Quoim’s. The door was covered in posters, of what Lena supposed were famous Vampires.

She pushed open the door, and Lena saw more posters. A bed with a huge fluffed-up comforter greeted them, and giant pillows. Lena let her gaze travel around the room, a closet with a red jeweled curtain blocking the clothes from view, the bed, posters, more posters. There was also a vase of the shining flowers from the garden on a bedside table, and a small cot with another comforter on it.

Quoim flicked on the light, and the top of the room opened up, showing the sun and letting warmth from it in, but not letting the cold air in. “It’s standard Vampire lighting for homes.” Quoim answered Lena’s look, “It’ll follow the sun all day, and then the moon at night if you want to. I guess you could also have Human lighting, but... we don’t. Anyway, drop your bag on the cot, and we can go and do something!”

“Right.”

*  *  *

“Mommy went and got me a new dress, and new shoes, and guess what?”

“What, Gabreil?” Quoim said in an annoyed voice.

“I lost my first tooth! And Sorren lost his fourth! But, I lost my first.”

“Congradulations! Can I see?” Gabreil opened her mouth as wide as she could and put a small finger in, pointing to the visible gap between teeth.

“Oh, that’s so great, sweetie!”

“You’re a big girl now!” Nadine picked her little sister up and twirled her in the air.

“Umm... why is this such a big deal?” Lena asked, very confused.

“Oh! I forgot, you wouldn’t know! When you lose a tooth, you’re one step closer to getting your Power. And you don’t have to lose a certain number, but it usually happens around six to eight years old when you’ve lost about five teeth.” Quoim explained.

“Soon you’ll be an old lady!” Nadine said, and went back to her task of tickling the tiny girl, who was giggling loudly.

“You’re the old ladies.” Sorren stated loudly.

“Oh, yeah?” Nadine started tickling him, as well.

Quoim signaled to Lena that it was time to leave, so she joined Quoim in her room. “Hey, so, Lena. It’s my mom’s birthday, and I was thinking, what if we made her something? She loves blood pudding, what about that? You don’t have to, of course.”

“No, sure!” Lena said quickly.

“Awesome! We can do it soon.” Quoim smiled.

AUTHORS NOTE: WOOOOOOOOOOOOOW. 11K READS? I checked my wattpad during class at school and it was just a little bit after I got 10k reads. I wanted to scream but I couldn’t because I was supposed to be working… BUT OMG THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH! I LOVEEEEE YOU! Keep voting reading & commenting!

<3

tova