C h a p t e r. N i n e *

Anthony

After getting my ass chewed by my captain i was finally off the hook for missing my half my shift yesterday and calling out for this morning. The one thing that has been hard with out Diana around was it meant i had to be more alert to Destinys schedule and less time consumed at work. Now it isnt mission impossible beacause ive done it before Diana but with all these extra cases and trying to stay on top of Elijah's i was exhausted.

Speaking of Eli's case ive been on hold with someone from DEA for over thirty minutes and they still havnt gotten back with anything. If this was a face to face meeting they wouldnt have been able to get away with that but Des' trip is today so obviously that wasnt happening. I needed some goddamn answers. Im going to catch this asshole who did this to my family and watch him suffer. Not so much for me but for my mama. This women is my world and to see her have to burry a son its not something i had on my life agenda. As much as i hated the thought, we were suppose to burry her, not the other way around.

At my peak of frustarion i ended the call and slammed my cell onto my desk in my den. I havnt been in this room since i discovered Diana partaking in a three some. Feeling myself becoming enraged by the thought i made a mental note to order a new desk and to have the room cleaned out. ASAP. I hate to sound feminen about the situation but the wounds are still fesh and in my opinion it should bother any human being. I looked down at my watch to see it was now 8:45AM, Destiny and i did not have to meet her class at thecircus until 10:30 so i figured that was enough time to head downtown and do what i have to do. "Destiny, its time to go baby girl." I hollared loud enough for her to hear.

"What the hell do you mean there was no witnesses ? He was found in an alley in Washington Heights, how does no one notice a fucking dead body in a neighborhood like that !?" I have yelled at the desk duty officer.

" Ight look my man, Im sorry i really am but i could get my ass handed to me for even giving you this information and i do know that you shouldnt even be working this case. Im doing you the favor, all i know was that after the bust it was some talk about a body. Thats all." Some favor it was. He didnt even remember the name of the suspects who saw the body. Now i was back at square one. Nothing. Because i wasted time here Des' was now going to be late for her feild trip. They were going to a carnival and the universal soul circus and this girl would not let me liveit down if we missed it. after her blackmailing me i made it up with one of those new tablets that just came out. I know im a terrible father and my kid is a brat but whats a guy to do.

We made it to the Bronx a little before 10:30 but what really was a killer was finding parking, goddamn yankee fans. Gota love the NY dont you. By the time we caught up the two schools were just heading into the tents and a few moments later the show started. Although we were seated near Yvette the whole time, Destiny enjoyed the series of acts and performances. Assistant principle or not, the lady was arrogant, irratating and just plane rude all in one. She had no people skills whats so ever. She wouldnt last a day in my world. When the showwas well over i rememebered Angela and her kid were suppose to be here. We didnt cross paths during the circus performance so i thought i'd look around for her now that we were wandring around this carnival.

When Destiny and i came across the ring toss station i spotted Angela and her son in the process of celebrating a win. I couldnt help but disolve into laughter as they chanted and paraded around in a cabbage patch victory dance. What really got to me was the fact that Angela seemed to be enjoying herself, especially when she hit him with an old fashion tootsie roll. That right there was priceless. " Hope im not interupting." I mocked announcing my presences.

" I was begining to think you tricked me into showing up detective." She smiled. " Hey Destiny how are you ?" She greeted making Destiny grin ear to ear.

" Im good ms. Angela. you look really pretty." I had to agree with my daughter she did. Wearing a yellow felix the cat shirt, sky blue high waist jeans, some all white addias and her hair were seperated into two braids. it was pretty laid back but still she stood out. She was definitely a woman who didnt need to dress up to stand out. I liked that.

" Thank you baby, you look adorable your self. You enjoy the circus show ?" She asked smiling when Destiny nodded her head yes telling her the favorite parts of the show. " What about you ?" She directed towards me.

" I think i would have liked it a lot more if i wasnt stuck sitting w. That." I joked nodding my head over to Yvette who was giving Angel the evil eye. She didnt seemed bothered by it one bit, shr just laughed and walked off. " If you dont mind me asking, whats the bad blood between you two ?"

" Thats really a long story." She said letting out a sigh.

" I got time. If its not personal."

" Why dont you like her?" She asked changing the subject.

" Isnt it obvious ? Shes just not a pleseant woman, at all." I shrugged as we wondered around the carnival more. Once the kids spotted a fun house they took off, leaving us by our self. " Now your turn ?"

" Me and her had a few unfriendly encounters outside of school and she decided to be bitter and involved child serviices." she confessed rolling her eyes. That made me want to know a little more but thats her personal life.

" Im sorry, i shouldnt have asked." I apologized. " So tell me about yourself. You have this amazing kid you seem to take care of, what about you ?"

" What about me?" She asked resting on a gate still keeping an eye on her son.

" I dont know. Whats your story ? Where do you see your self? Why are you so attractive? Anything." I pushed keeping my eyes on her.

" Are you trying to flirt with me detective ?" She asked finally looking up at me.

" That really depends on how you define flirting. You've never met anyone who knew how to dish out a few compliments?"

" We'll No." She admitted. " I dont meet people."

" Why is that?" I asked sinserely.

" Just reasons." She said shrugging her shoulders. " Im more just into me and my son." She smiled turning her attention back to over where the kids were. We didnt really talk about much but I must admit Angela was a real interesting girl. Something about her was just appealing to me.

I know i said i wasnt really looking to get into anything right now but that doesnt mean i cant get to know a few people here and there. Right ?

*

*

Angel

" Could i get you something to eat ?" He asked as we watched Dj and Destiny get their faces painted.

" I could go for something to eat." I accepted with a big smile. " But i can pay for it myself Detective."

" You dont let me buy your drink ? You had to get caught in the rain to let me drive you home now you wont even allow me to buy you a soda and hot dog. Woman you sure are stubborn." He roared in laughter shaking his head at me. I didnt want to accept it and have him think i owed him anything. He was cool and all but this trip was for my son not for me to be getting cozy w. A cop. " And stop calling me detective, i have a name and i am not on duty."

" Well excuse me." I surrendered. " But ill stop calling you detective when you stop calling me Angela." I taunted.

" But that is your name, whats wrong with it?"

" Nothing, Angel is just fine." I corrected as we approaches the concession stand.

" Angel makes you sound like a lesbian." He implied with a grin making me do a double take.

" And what if i was? is there something wrong with that?" The look on his face was absolutely priceless, he seemed shocked, guilty, awkward and a little bit disappointed i couldnt help myslef but to laugh. " Im just kidding, I am very much attracted to men and men only, boy the face you had you would have thought you had a long term crush on me." i giggled. He just smiled and shook his head at me some more.

Before it was my turn to order i realized it was time for DJ to meet back up w. his class to eat lunch. So we dropped the kids off then headed back to the stand to grab food for our selves. As much as Anthony ate i would have expected him to be this sloppy bear belly brotha but he was the complete opposite. Even with clothes on i could tell he had an amazing body and was very well fit. Well atleast i expected him to look that way. Hey a girl can only fantasize, shit. It aint nothing wrong with that. After we finished up our lunch we walked around this carnival some more and continued to watch the kids enjoy themselves.

Im so use to it just being me and DJ i kind of forgot what it felt like to interact with anyone. Besides Chelsea the only other people i talk to on a friendship level is Trika. I didnt even know how popular my son was. I knew he had friends at school of course but seeing him play around was like seeing a dog walk on two legs. Its like we're two completely different people. Does that make me a bad mother? I was jealous that my son was having so much fun with people who werent me. What type of shit is that?

" Hey are you okay?" Anthony asked snapping me out of my thoughts. I forgot he was here really. In my own little world. I gave him a warm smile and nodded my head. " You want to play some games? i know you have to be tired of sitting here talking to me." He offered standing up and extending his hand for mine. relunctantly placed mine into his palm and followed him to a basketball booth. " I'd like to play." He informed the booth owner handing him four tickets. He wanted me to play with him. " Don't cheat now." He mocked making me playfully roll my eyes.

I use to play basketball with my dad and Sr. all the time. I was a bit rusty but enventually got the hang of it. Was it sad that i was begining to have fun at a carnival, a carnvial for third and fourth graders. We played a game of ring toss, a dart game with water balloons, a sack race, and bowling. And now Anthony some how managed to talk me into getting on a damn ferris wheel, i hated heights so why i agreed to it? ill never know.

" Aww come on it isnt that bad. Look the kids are right below us. All you have to do is look down and youll see them." He offered. What i look like booboo the fool? There was no way in hell i was looking down. I gave him a quick jab in the arm for thinking he was funny as well but that only made him laugh more. " So are you enjoying yourself?"

" Minus being so far off the ground, i actually am. Thanks for tricking me into coming."

" My pleasure." He chuckled shifting to turn towards me making the seat rock a little. " That wasnt on purpose i promise." He said with a surrendering look. As much as i tried not to a blushed a little bit. " You look like you dont do this too often. The whole male thing."

" Thats because i dont."

" Why? Youre a georgous woman, and from what i see an excellent mother. You shouldnt be hiding away like this." He complimented flashing his orbit white smile at me and touching my shoulder. " Look where on our last go around." He informed looking up and around our settings. Just when i was starting to get use to this damn thing.

" Good." I lied.

" So since you had such a good time today i was wondering if we should do it again." For a second there i thought he was talking about the damn ride but then it registered that he was asking me out on a date. As much as i swore i wasnt tryna get involved with this damn man i couldnt deny that i was attracted to him. Was Chelsea right all this time? I nervously bit on my bottom lip as i thought about it some more. What could be the harm in one date. Before i could give him my responce theride was over and it was time to get back to the group. It was now 4pm and time to go. Ofcourse Anthony offered us a ride home, more like pressured me into one.

" Thanks for the ride, i appreciate it." I said opening up the door letting DJ run upstairs with the key. " And about your offer, As long as it doesnt involve heights im down." I accepted watching him smile from ear to ear.

" ill have to take that into consideration." He said rubbing on his beared making me giggle. He went to turn away and head off my stoop but turned back arouns. " Oh this is for you." He said extending his hand out which held a tan tuffed bear with a big blue ribbon around its neck. it was the one he won duringthe basketball game

" You sure Destiny wouldnt like it."

" Im sure. Its for you Angel." He offered giving me another warm pearly white smile. That smile could make a nuns panties wet.

" Thank you. You didnt have to." I Smiled in return taking the stuffed animal from him. I couldnt stop smiling, i had to admit it was a cute gesture. Normally id brush a nigga off and call him corny as hell for this but not this time.

" Ill give you a call or text about the details where ill be taking you." He said stepping off the porch and waving goodbye. I headed upstairs with a smile still painted on my face. There was a knock at the door and when i answered it there stood Sr. with the most pissed off look on his face. Here we go.

"We need to talk." He ordered stepping in when he clearly hadnt been invited in. My patience was wearing thin w. this ngga what could he possibly want.

_______________________________________

Hey yal 👋👋yeah i know yal a bunch of silent readers but imma be nice anyway. Hope you guys enjoyed this chapter. Pardon any typos or errors i cant find my glasses. Lol. Well no specific number like always BUT no update unless i see double digets in votes and comments and guess what this and the rest of my chapters will be private sooooo (kev hart voice) if you not a follower then go home roger you wont be able to read lol. See yal when i see yal ✌️😘

__Slimm💥

Btw. I switched the POV label from bottom to top. To make it more clear. 😊