C H A P T E R T W E N T Y F O U R *

Anthony

"Is there somewhere you have to be?" My mother asked when I checked my watch for the third time. I shook my head no while she rearranged the flowers that laid in front of Elijah's tombstone. Today she chose to go with sunflowers instead of roses. "Its fine I was finishing up any way." She assured dusting off her slack pants when she rose from the grass.

"Do we need to make any other stops before dinner?" I asked as we exited the cemetery and entered my car. Making sure she was comfortable I closed the passenger door for her.

"No. Your sister already went to the market so were fine." my cell phone suddenly went off letting me know I had an incoming call. Breifly looking down I noticed Chelsea's number and hit the mute button before stuffing the phone back into my pocket. "Is everything alright son?" She questioned with concern. I knew that tone any where. She was ready to go into full mom mode.

"Yeah just some stuff at work." I lied to the best of my abilites while starting the engine.

"You know you're a terrible liar."she scoffed studying my face for any other hints. "Is it the woman you're seeing? Did you guys break up?"

"Was seeing, and yeah something like that."

"Well what happened because I haven't seen you sulk over a woman in years. You didn't even stay stuck on that Diana Chile far too long. Thank the lord for that." She pried. "She didn't cheat on you too did she?"

"Mama." I chuckled lightly. "No she didn't cheat on me. Things are just really complicated right now." I stated trying to remain as vague as possible. There was no way in hell I could make angela and i's break up a discussion. Not knowing the real reason behind it. She'd lose her damn mind. "We should get going. Destiny is probably driving Michelle insane."

"Well obviously this is serious enough to were you'd rather not discuss it." She accepted. And with that we drove in a comfortable silence. The only thing that filled the car was the soft tones of the jazz station.

I couldn't help but think back to Angel and it's first date at Ginny's super club. The way I was taken back by her beauty in that georgous blue dress. The way it felt to caress the bare skin of her back while we danced. Oh man and what a damn fool I made of myself with those god damn dance moves.

"Did I miss the joke?" My mother questioned causing me to realize I was laughing. Chill out man. I scowled myself.

"Ma." I called out gaining her attention. "You remember when you and aunt Sheila got into that big fight over daddy and uncle Greg back in '97?" I reminisced.

"Yes but what is gods name does that have to do with anything?" She asked with her eye brows knitted together.

"We were at our annual family reunion. Uncle Greg, daddy and a bunch of other old heads were high drunk and gambling." I continued down memory lane. "I don't know someone must have cheated someone or maybe it was what they were on but they started fighting and shit and uncle Greg came at daddy with a knife."

I was only thirteen at the time and I had remembered so well. It was one of the most scariest days in my life. "No one could get him to calm down. But daddy got the knife out his hand and they began fighting and he ended up in a coma. The doctors didn't even think he'd make it out." "The cops were involved and everything. Aunt Sheila was so mad at daddy she wanted to press charges. But you wouldn't agree to it. You chose to defend dad."

"Anthony do you want to tell me why you're bringing this up?" She asked shifting uncomfortably in her seat. I continuously stared ahead as we approached a red light. I was so stuck in my thoughts and just continued to ramble on.