C H A P T E R T W E N T Y T H R E E*

Anthony

It was as if I had entered some sort of twilight zone. I could see Chelsea there talking but my ears couldnt process anything she said. My brain wanted to will my legs to move but I remained in the same spot. Finally her lips stopped moving.

  "What do you mean Angela was raped ?" I hesitantly asked. Just the thought of someone forcing themselves on her hurt me in ways i couldnt describe. "Did she tell you who did it?" 

"Are you serious right now?" She asked with bare confusion written on her face. "You're kidding me right.'' 

"Do i look like im kidding Chelsea?" i asked mimicking the irritation in her voice. "Im not in the mood for guessing games so tell me who the hell hurt her!" although she quickly hid it with the same emotionless face the smirk on Chelseas face didnt go unnoticed. perhaps she detected the passion within my words. there was no hiding that i still cared for Angela. 

" Like i said the first time. Does Angela look like the type of person to just kill someone for no reason. Someone like your brother!" She repeated while folding her arms across her chest. "you've known me long enough to know im not a bullshitter." She defended before i could accuse her of lying. "whether you want to accept it or not your brother was a criminal; one of the biggest drug dealers ive heard of in Brooklyn. And he was capable of alot of things, including raping my cou- sister." 

"Your sister?" i asked with uncertainty. "Am i missing something?" 

"Don't worry about it." She dismissed. "Thats not important right now whats important is you going to see her." She demanded causing my body to stiffen. "Look im not expecting you guys to continue where you left off and live happily ever after but you need to atleast hear her out. Shes been through alot these past few weeks." She justified with a cracked voice. "Do it for little Darren. I know you werent fond of his father, no one was really but he doesnt deserve to lose both parents Anthony. He needs his mother." 

    Four days fifteen hours and twentysix minutes. 

  Thats how long it took me to make a decision. 

"You gota make this quick. The warden will have my ass for this shit." The guard complained as i dropped my badge gun, and wallet into the metal pan. 

"Good looking out Mel. the Knicks tickets will be ready at the window tomorrow afternoon bruh." i promised as we slapped palms together. It was going on midnight and i knew visiting hours were well over but once i promised some court side seat tickets for my boy on shift he was more than willing to do me this favor. I knew it was probably a thousand times less risker to have just did this during the afternoon and i would be in a shit load of trouble if i got caught but that was the last thing on my mind at the moment. It took me so long to work up the courage to get here and there was no turning back now. 

 The sound of the heavy keys took me out of my thoughts promting me to lookup ahead. with my back against the wall i apprehensively stuffed my hands into my front pockets. The very moment i laid eyes on her i was a goner. The shock on her face expressed that she hadnt known it was me here to see her. Although she tried to remain calm the fear in her body hadnt gone un noticed when the door had slammed closed. she knew she was stuck here with me. 

Angel 

 Who knew we would be here today yeah, Who knew your heart had a coast i would pay. Aint gone be all peaches i thought throughthe pain you would stay. I guess life is no fare.. No, No - Trey Songz 

  I laid on my cot staring at the ceiling during another sleepless night. yeah ive had a lot of these for the past three and a half weeks. Slipping my hand under the rough pillow my fingers found the crumbled photo i was searching for. My cheeks formed a heart aching smile as my eyes rested on the picture of DJ Chelsea had sent me. Atleast he'll still be happy I thought to myself. Although Lauren was working on bailing me out there was no doubt in my mind that i'd end up back here in a few months. My legal aid; who probably didnt believe shit that came out of my mouth that New York doesnt really has a self defence act and if we were going to plead that it had to be proven without a reasonable doubt. so yeah i know im pretty much screwed. Atleast ill get a few last moments with my son.