Chapter 2

*not edited*

- One week later -

~ Perrie's Pov ~

Dropping my bag on the granite countertop, I rifled through the day's mail, suppressing a surge of disappointment when all I discovered was bills and sales flyers. So much for small steps, a small voice taunted from inside my own head.

Jesy entered the room clad in a turquoise maxi dress that flowed over her elegant figure. She fanned herself as she brushed a few sticky strands of hair off the back of her neck.
"Let's take a summer holiday," she suggested, "Majorca or Seychelles?"

"I think it's likely to be even hotter there, and I have a job."

"Beach hot is different." Jesy sighed and grabbed an ice cube from the freezer. "It's miserable to be hot in a city with all the people. Can't you get off for a couple of days or a long weekend?"

"Is this all?" I held up the stack of mail, ignoring her question.

"As far as I know." She studied my face for a minute. "How was work today?"

"Fantastic," I said, hoping she wouldn't ask for details.

"You work to hard Pez," she said. "Let's go grab a drink."

"I need to get in a run." Exercise was my fallback excuse when I didn't have work to occupy me.

"Bollocks," Jesy said. "You're avoiding me."

"I'm not avoiding you." I sighed, searching for a way to explain without getting into the painful subject of Jade. "I just don't feel like going out."

"You never feel like going out," she accused. "I love you, darling, but you can't hide from life forever. When are you going to move on?"

"I'm going on a run. Don't read so much into it." I grabbed my purse and flew past her before she could press me further.

Jesy didn't come out of her room when I emerged fifteen minutes later ready to run. I tugged my ponytail into submission and headed out of the flat. Despite the evening's mugginess, the air felt good on my sweaty skin as I quickened my pace. Running cleared my head to the point of blankness, which was almost as good as being completely occupied with work.

I jogged to a stop at the corner, waiting for the light to change. A sleek black Rolls across the street made my heart jump. Sucking in a deep breath, I stepped closer, realising with disappointment that it wasn't Jade's.

Get a grip, my inner critic chastised.

This time I needed to listen to her. I took off at a full run, arms pumping, blood pounding through me, as I forced myself to speed up until I forgot everything. I was running away from my problems. I knew that. But what other choice did I have when I had no one left to run to?

The thought vanished from my head as the physical demands of my pace took precedence over thought. Half an hour later my head was clear as I bounded up the front steps of my flat. I was completely blissed out from running. If only the feeling could last forever.

"Perrie!" Jane called from her doorway.

"Hi Jane," I panted.

"Come in and have some water. You look like you just ran a marathon."

I felt like I had, too, but I shook my head despite my dry throat. "I'm gross. I should shower, but thank you."

"Nonsense." Jane glided into the hallway and pointed to her flat. "Inside now."