Chapter 14

*Perrie's Pov *

The waiter pulled out a chair, and I plastered a smile on my face as I settled into my seat. The one in my office was padded but there was no such luck at Greene's Tavern. The discomfort was minor and I was sure by the end of our meal, I wouldn't notice it all. It was likely to be outweighed by heavy, awkward conversation. The upscale hotel restaurant was fairly quiet for a Tuesday afternoon, but I'd taken an early lunch. My mother had insisted. If she noticed my cautious posture, she didn't comment.

"Thank you for taking the time to meet me," my mother said in a quiet voice as she closed her menu. She'd dressed the part today, clad in a deep grey dress suit with a set of pearls nestled over her elegant collarbone. Still despite the mature ensemble, we could have passed for sisters, thanks to her loosely styled hair and flawless skin.

"I feel as though I haven't seen you in ages."

Weeks would be more precise but certainly not dramatic enough for her taste. "I apologise. I've been busy at work." I said

"Amongst other things." My mother commented but didn't continue and she didn't have to. I knew exactly what she was inferring.

There were a million lies I could tell her to soothe her bruised ego, but I wasn't interested in playing into that game. "Yes, amongst other things."

"It's really not appropriate for you to move in with someone and not tell your family," she lectured me. At least she was finally getting to the point.

"It happened quite suddenly," I reminded her. I knew that didn't matter to her. All she cared about was that she'd been left out. Never mind I'd had nothing to tell her or that she'd actually been one of the first people to know. If I didn't count the thousands of television viewers that had been privy to Jade's ploy.

Her lips pursed into an unattractive pout even as she shrugged. "It's your life."

That had never been a fact she seemed capable of grasping. The waiter delivered us from further conversation, but I had no doubt it was only a momentary respite.

"It's good to see your appetite increasing," My mother noted when the waiter disappeared with the menus and our orders.

"I don't remember the last time you ordered that much food."

"I've been running more." I didn't add that my suddenly active sex life played a larger role in my hunger. Her eyes narrowed and she studied me for a moment, leaning against the table. "Are you pregnant?"

"Mother!" My shocked exclamation drew the attention of most of the room's patrons, but perhaps owing to its posh atmosphere, they turned quickly away.

"It's a reasonable question." She sipped at her vodka tonic. "You did move in with Jade rather quickly."

"No, it's not," I hissed. "This is the twenty-first century, so please stop planning my shotgun wedding. I'm not pregnant."

"I'm relieved to hear that." She abandoned her drink and turned the full force of her maternal gaze on me. "It would be scandalous."

"There are always plenty of scandals. No one would care if I was," I said dismissively, even though my stomach flipped. There would be many people who would care. One in particular. "A baby isn't in our plans."

"Yet." My mother said, I opened my mouth to protest, but she held up a hand. Part of me wanted to slump in my chair and cross my arms defensively. Something about the situation reminded me a bit too much of how I'd felt as a teenager living under her roof.