Chapter 20

[Final Chapter.] Not edited

*Perrie's Pov*

We spent the next hour exchanging hugs with the family and friends Jade had invited to participate in her audacious proposal. Jesy kept grabbing my hand to inspect the ring. My mother was already planning the wedding. Luke seemed keen to help her. When Jade finally extricated us from the small crowd of well-wishers, I was more than ready to be alone with her.

"Take me home, and take me to bed," I murmured as she helped me into the back of the car.

Jade slid in beside me. "Try to stop me."

I climbed into her lap, lingering in the bliss of this evening's euphoria. Since I'd made my decision, I'd been shown again and again that it was the right one. Marrying Jade and accepting the responsibilities that came with wedding the heir to the throne was going to be difficult, but I no longer wanted easy. Not if it meant being without her.

Jade played with the ring I wore and then smiled. It was unusual. So unlike the dominant, powerful women that had enthralled me since the day we met.

"This ring was giving to me from Karl, it was for his girlfriend at the time but it went bad then he gave it to me and told me to only give it to my rightful soulmate and I believe I have," she admitted.

"Oh," I gasped. I saw the ring in a whole new light now.

"He gave it to me the morning of the day he died, it was like he knew it was coming... Karl would have liked you. "

"I love it. I love you."

"I know it might seem like a bit much," she added hastily. "If you'd rather have something else."

I snatched my hand back. "You'll have to pry it off my cold, dead finger."

"That won't be necessary," she said with a laugh. Jade could be distant. She could be domineering. Every facet of her personality aroused me. But when she allowed herself to be happy, I melted.

Jade brushed a kiss along my hairline. "When..." she trailed away, her eyes glued to something outside the window. "Fuck."

"What?" I asked, afraid to turn around. Maybe someday I would be accustomed to the bad news that seemed to always nip at the heels of our happiness.

Today wasn't that day.

"We have company," she said through gritted teeth. Jade tucked my hair behind my ears and kissed me softly.

The hunger that had ached through me moments before roared back to life and my hands reached to clutch her to me. Jade loosened my grip and shook her head apologetically.

My eyes flashed to see exactly who had just made their way to the top of my kill list. There wasn't a single person in our lives who didn't know she had just proposed. If I was going to have to constantly field unexpected visitors, a change of address might be in order. A number of black sedans lined the street in front of our house. Apparently the no parking signs didn't apply to them.

As we drove closer, I caught sight of at least a dozen men, dotting the gate, garden and front door. I couldn't see the rear garden, but I suspected there were men standing guard there. Every light in the house was on, and the front door stood open.

"A security sweep?" I asked, confused. Had something happened while Jade was traveling? Or perhaps it was standard procedure after a member of the royal family returned home from an extended trip.

"Undoubtedly." Jade's lower lip curled with disgust. "One can't be too cautious when the queen comes to call."

"Q-q-queen?" I tripped over the word, unable to process what she was suggesting.