Chapter 11

Yay! Another update

*Perrie's Pov *

It took considerable effort to pry myself out of Jade's arms and bed to go to my flat for a few hours. After the whirlwind of the last thirty hours, I needed to clear my head. Tomorrow I had to be at work and there were presentations to prepare. Besides that I hadn't spoken to Jesy since she called me on Friday night. I owed her an explanation before she called Scotland Yard to report me missing. Pausing at the door, I took a deep breath before I unlocked it.

"I'm sorry!" I flew into the room. Dropping my pocket book on the counter, I hugged a startled Jesy. "My phone died."

"I assumed as much when it went to voice mail for the last twenty-four hours." If my best friend was upset, she didn't show it. I could almost spot the twitch of a smile on her lips, but she raised her teacup to cover it. She was dressed in a rose-coloured dressing gown that made her look every bit the vintage ingénue and Jane was with here.

"She was worried," Jane said, earning a reproachful look from her Jesy. But Jane was far past caring what anyone, family included, thought of what she said. "I told her to stick a cork in it."

My eyes flashed from hers to Jesy's, trying to keep a straight face but I failed miserably. To my surprise, they both joined in with my laughter. The atmosphere of the flat felt lighter than it had in weeks, and it seemed to be affecting all of us.

"You're in an excellent mood," Jesy noted.

"She got shagged." Jane wasn't the type to tiptoe around the tulips. If the fastest path was to walk straight through, she'd mow them down. When it came to my love life, she didn't make exceptions to this rule. Still, I had to appreciate her frankness when it came to my recent romantic entanglements, even if she had a tendency to make me blush. After all, it had been her interference that had opened the door to allowing Jade back into my life.

"It's the weekend. Who isn't shagging?" Jesy asked.

Now it was my turn to raise an eyebrow. "I thought you were handling this well."

"Don't rub it in, girls," Jane said in a mournful tone. "You see more action than both of us," Jesy scoffed.

"My man moved to Spain," Jane informed us. "I suppose I'm, what do you young people say, back in the game?"

This time I didn't even try to smother my laughter. What would it be like to be a free spirit like Jane saying what I liked, Of course, she wasn't married. I wasn't sure if she ever had been. From everything she'd said to me, there had been a long string of lovers in her life. But she'd hinted at one doomed relationship when she advised me to take a chance with Jade. "Were you ever married, Jane?

Her eyes widened a bit and I remembered that despite how forthright Jane could be, she was still English.

"Sorry," I murmured. "I was only curious."

"It's fine." She waved off my apology, the sleeve of her turquoise kaftan swirling in the air. "No, I've never been married."

"I didn't mean to pry." I felt terrible for letting curiosity get the better of me.

"Will I be seeing a lot more of you in the tabloids?" Jesy asked, breaking the palpable tension in the air. No. Not tension. Sadness.

I forced a tight-lipped smile, appreciative for the change in topic. Although I hadn't quite decided how to broach the subject of Jade yet. "I suppose so."