Chapter 8

*Perrie's Pov*

I fingered the spines of a well-worn, but still beautiful, edition of Pride & Prejudice, while mentally running through each room in the house. Did we have bookshelves? Pulling it from the table of rare books, I realized we could always get bookshelves. I flipped the page and froze. We. I'd never explicitly agreed that I was moving in with Jade, but here I was thinking about what we could do in the house.

The vendor, scenting a sale, stepped next to me. Very nice edition. Late nineteenth century.

"It's a bargain at two hundred pounds (roughly $251 US), my lady."

I blushed and placed the book back on the table, shaking my head. "I was just admiring it."

The man nodded vigorously and began to pluck other books that might interest me from the piles. It wasn't going to be easy to get out of here without buying something. Even as he piled another book into my hands, I couldn't shake the strange mix of emotions still churning in the pit of my stomach. My eyes instinctively found Jade's as I murmured absent thank-yous to the stall owner. She was partially turned away from me, studying a book. Dressed in shirt, leather jacket and jeans that showcased her sculpted frame, it would be harder for most people to immediately recognize her. Although there was no way they could ignore her.

She glanced up and a slow smile spread over her face when she caught me looking at her. My heart sped up, sending blood roaring to my ears, and the world fell away, leaving only us. Jade dazzled me. I knew then that there was no possibility of separation. Not for me. I'd tried and failed to walk away from her. I'd died each night I'd spent without her only to be reborn every morning to suffer the pain again.

Jade crossed to me, wrapping her arms around my waist. Resting her chin on my shoulder, she studied the book I held. "You should buy it for our place. The library is sadly understocked."

"We have a library?" I blurted out, simultaneously surprised at the information and overwhelmed to hear her say our place.

"Remind me to give you a proper tour this evening."

There was no doubting the suggestive undertone to her words.

"I have a feeling I'm going to like this tour."

"You will, love." She planted a soft kiss behind my ear, sending a tingle of anticipation down my neck.

Jade was serious about stocking the library. We left the rare book booth twenty minutes later with an order for all of the man's oldest and rarest volumes.

"You're in a generous mood," I noted as we strolled along the busy street, stopping occasionally to inspect another strange artifact.

"I am." Her grip on my hand tightened as we maneuvered through the crowds of shoppers. More than a few people stopped and stared at us, but whether it was because they were uncertain or because they respected our privacy, no one had taken any pictures yet.

It was liberating. Thanks to Jade's lie last night, the world believed we were living together. I was beginning to believe it myself. Twenty-four hours ago, I'd had no faith she could ever provide me with commitment. Now I had little doubt whether we were both fully committed to this relationship. There was still a tiny voice tucked deep inside me that warned me to protect myself. The problem was that I had Jade protecting me now, and more than ever, I wanted to give myself fully to her body and soul.

Stopping in a small shop with antique and rare fixtures, I pointed to a beautiful Tiffany reproduction lamp.

"What about this for our place?"

Her answering smile nearly blinded me. "Anything you want, love."

"No," I said, shaking my head,

"this is our place."

"I can't describe what it's like to hear you say that," she admitted. She picked up the lamp and headed to the counter.

"I bet it feels like winning," I said dryly.

She chuckled softly as she passed the lamp to the cashier.

"£15,000 (roughly $18,885 US) ," she informed Jade.

I gawked at her. After I recovered from the shock, I asked weakly, "This isn't a reproduction?"

"No, this is a Tiffany Studios"
lamp." She turned it over and showed me the stamp.

"Dated 1896. It's a rare piece."
That I knew. Jade handed her a thin, black credit card, seemingly unimpressed by the sum.

"Let's look for something else," I suggested under my breath.

"No." Jade waved off my concern.

"You liked this lamp."

I had, but paying £15,000 for something I was going to be afraid to touch seemed a trifle extravagant. Watching the shopkeep wrap it for us, I imagined what would happen if I accidentally dropped it. Thanks in part to Jade's nonchalant attitude regarding the piece, I knew that the only person who would be mad was me. When she handed me the carefully wrapped package, I immediately passed it to Jade.
Despite growing up wealthy, I'd never really spent money.

"You're quiet," Jade pointed out as we left the shop. She tucked the package under her arm, slinging the other arm over my shoulder possessively.

"Thank you." I motioned to the lamp. "It's beautiful, but it feels a little extravagant, too."

"I wouldn't have royal blood in my veins, if my tastes didn't lend themselves to the lavish." She paused and turned to face me. "For example, my prized possession."

"Does that mean you'll take me to get falafel?" I bit my lip innocently.

"Anything you want, love." She tipped my chin up, studying my face for a moment before she kissed me. There was a time when I might have objected to being called her possession, but I understood what she meant now. I also knew that she belonged to me as much as I did to her. Her lips lingered on mine, firm and hot, but the kiss didn't step over the bounds of polite public displays of affection. She broke away leading me onward, but I couldn't tear my eyes from her. I was vaguely aware of the bustle surrounding us, although I didn't care. When I was with her, there was only her.

My thigh bumped into a table and I was forced to look away. Swiveling around to find the vendor and apologize for my clumsiness, my world came crashing to a halt. I stood frozen to the spot as my eyes locked on the man standing in the street behind us.

It was Zayn.
----------------------------------

Some more drama coming in the next chapter hope you are prepared 🙈

I bought tickets to the glory days tour! Who else has? Anyone going to see them in Sydney?

See you next update