Chapter 6

The wind mercilessly whipped my hair around me like a fiery halo. The ocean crashed against the shore. The scent of the beach permeated the air.

And Roman was standing behind me.

"It's peaceful, isn't it?"

I didn't know how to respond, other than nod. I was afraid that my voice would betray me and waver. I was still reeling on my death. I was a mess. I was shaking, with my arms wrapped around my body as if holding myself together.

"I saw how you just stormed out of there," Roman said. "You looked upset."

"Why are you here? I thought you had to leave or something," I spoke.

"Or something," Roman muttered under his breath. "I was called." Roman plopped down on the sand. "I'm on an hiatus."

"You speak as if it's a paid job." Amusement swam in my voice. I cleared my throat and sat down next to him.

"It kind of is." He ran a hand over his face.

"What do you mean?"

"It's... complicated."

Roman placed his hands on either side of him as he stared at the forever sunset. The burnt orange hue reflected onto him, and I saw how his black eyes tinted to a golden shade, specks of green and amber swam in his eyes and I had to swallow my gasp before it left my lips.

I was entranced for a moment longer than usual.

"It's rude to stare," Roman said.

I snapped my gaze to the ocean. "Sorry," I said sheepishly.

We sat in a comfortable silence. The only sound came from the ocean and the breeze fluttering between us.

I wondered what he meant by being on an hiatus. I mean, he was a grim reaper not a plumber or lawyer. From my periphery I saw an amused smile tug at the corners of his lips.

"What?" I asked him.

"Nothing," he said, his smile rising.

"Roman..."

He snapped his head to me, the smile gone, no evidence of it being there at all. His eyes that had been swirling with color turned to a hard, unforgiving black. Like a black hole. It sucked me in, and I was buried there.

"How do you know my name?" His voice came out harsh and cold. Not like it was moment before – smooth like velvet chocolate.

"Meg told me."

"Meghan," he grumbled. "She just doesn't know when to shut her mouth."

"What does it matter, anyway? Its just a name. You know my name."

"It's different."

"No, no it's not."

"Yes, it is," he bit back.

I didn't want to argue with the grim reaper because it made me feel ridiculous, so I just shut my mouth and looked at ocean. And then, something occurred to me.

"Meg also said that it was possible to go back – to earth, I mean." I hoped that maybe he could take me. Then I could be with my family.

"She really doesn't know when to shut her mouth."

"You didn't answer my question," I said, impatiently.

"You didn't ask a question."

"You know what I mean, Roman."