Chapter 28

Again.

I was going to die. I repeat: again.

I didn't want to that was for sure. I hadn't come this far—dying, going back to earth, discovering secrets and lies, meeting new people, learning new things, losing friends and ending up in some weird interrogation room that was in need for some serious work—so I wasn't going to die. I told myself that. I just wished I wasn't alone in this situation. I wished someone was with me. Because I pretty much sucked in times as these. Thinking that just reminded me of how selfish I was. I should be glad that none of my friends or family is with me in this situation. I should be glad that they're somewhat safe, wherever they may be.

I had to get out of this alive. I had to make things right.

I had to bargain. Maybe I could even make a pact with Satan and get my life back.

It wasn't bad idea. The very fact that I actually considered that worried me. I tried to assure myself of what Alex said, no matter how psycho he was, he made some sense.

It was Destiny. You were meant to die.

I needed to talk to Roman now more than ever, too. I needed to know what he saw in my future. What was so bad that I had to die.

"Woah, there, big boy," I said, sitting up a bit straighter. "You just cut to the chase, don't you?" I laughed uneasily. "How about we talk this out like two... I don't know... beings? instead. How does that sound?"

"I don't like talking. I like eating—preferably souls," he said, snarkily.

"What are you?"

"I'm a soul eater," he said proudly. "I work alongside Satan. I'm his loyal servant."

He seemed pretty happy talking about he boss, so I made him talk more about that. The more he spoke, the longer I lived. "Wow, you're the loyal servant to Lucifer?"

"Yes, I am."

"I know I should hate you, but that is so cool!" I said, going in ultimate fangirl-mode. "You are so cool! I cannot believe I'm talking to you right now! How is it? Working with Satan and all?"

"Working with him is amazing," he said, I could hear the smile in his voice. "You see something gruesome every day, really. And he can be so cool! I just admire him so much—always have—and the fact that I get to work for him is just... mind blowing. Really. I love my job. It's not even like a job. It's more like paying to work with Justin Bieber—for you. I don't have some weird obsession with The Biebs or anything... Anyway..."

"Oh, no I'm totally obsessed with," I cleared my throat, "The Biebs."

Seriously?

Was this guy serious?

"You are living the dream," I added after a while. "You are the luckiest being in all the galaxy! I must say, Mr. Alexandru, sir."

"I am, aren't I?" he said nostalgia laced in his voice.

I nodded rapidly plastering a huge smile on my face.

"So, back to business—or well, your demise," he said, his voice comforting into something dark and sinister.

I was breathing heavily again and I was getting cold, so cold. I refused to die. I would NOT die. I nibbled on my bottom lip before saying, "So how do you guys intend on killing me?"

"You want to know?" Alex asked, confused. "I think it's better to not know since—you know what, I'll tell you!"

"And can you do it? I want you to kill me. I want to see your face," I said before he could speak again. I was actually really interested into seeing how this great Alexandru looked.

"I don't think that's a good idea..." he trailed off.

"Why? Are you like butt ugly or something? I bet you are," I snickered. "Ooh, how does good old Luci look? He must be smokin'—pun intended."

"I am not butt ugly," he said through clenched teeth.

"I asked you two questions. You answer both. This isn't multiple choice," I huffed. "So how does Lucifer look? Is he hot?" I laughed.

Okay. I admit I was slowly going insane because of sitting in that dank room.

"You are seriously insane, aren't you? Normally people taken prisoner and are about to die are kneeling over in prayer, crying," he pondered. "But you... you're joking around like your soul isn't about to be dinner. And trust me, I've been told that dying the second time around hurts a lot more than the first."

"Firstly, I resent that comment, I am insane; there's no going around, over, or under that statement—I've been through more shit than I have been through when I was alive," I let out a short bark of laughter, suppressing every ounce of fear that drenched my body. "Secondly, and lastly, dying the first didn't hurt at all. It was suffocating, but it didn't hurt. But you know what they say, there's a first time for everything." I sighed. "But I want you to do the honor of killing me and devouring my soul. If you won't come in here and eat me—"

"—that sounded wrong."

"What do you—Ew, that's just nasty. Get your mind out of the gutter!" I scoffed, surprised that the more I suppressed the fear the more it dissipated. "Where was I? Oh yeah, if you don't kill me; then I would like to make a bargain of some sorts. I want you to... make me alive again? Maybe a pact with good ol' Luci? If he's behind that PG glass then," I cleared my throat, "hello? Mr. Lucifer-sama? I would like to offer my soul in return you bring me back to life. How does that sound?"

"You want my boss to move back time?" Alex laughed.

"Is that what it'll take?"

"Yes."

"Wait, you guys are actually contemplating this?" I almost laughed. "I thought I wasn't a valuable human?"

"You weren't valuable as a human, that's the thing," another voice said. It sounded raw, and smooth, and beautiful. And it was coming from the corner of the room. I didn't know that I wasn't alone.

I turned around slowly and there a man stood. All I could see at first was piercing, translucent eyes that seemed to beckon me from the shadows. Then, a man stepped out of the silhouette. He had dark hair, defined features and the most beautiful blue eyes I had ever seen. He was the epitome of beauty. I felt myself drawn to him in an unmentionable way. It was as though we were tethered.

"I am Lucifer," he said, jutting out a strong hand. He was wearing an expensive-looking suit. "Its nice to officially meet you, Meredith Gray."

I reached out and that's when it happened. As soon as we made contact I saw pain and suffering. Not only did I see it but I could feel it. I could feel all those people Lucifer harmed.  A scream ripped from my throat and I jumped back.

A sinister smile tugged at Lucifer's lips and then, it split into a full on grin. He was the incarnation of evil. After seeing that, I could see him for what he truly was, he was evil. He was a monster.

"It worked," he said.

I was on the floor, curled over and crying. Actually crying.

"What?" I asked in a broken voice.

"The Underworld just activated your powers," he said in that same tone of voice. Harsh. Cold. Deadly.

"What—powers?"

"There are so many things that you don't know," Lucifer said. "Roman didn't tell you anything, did he?"

"I'm confused," I muttered, sniffling.

"Well, let me enlighten you," Lucifer said.

In a split second I was in his arms and we weren't in that dank room anymore.