Chapter 29

The fear I had managed to suppress came back at full force. It shook me from the core and rattled my bones.

I had never felt fear like that before, ever. Not even when I had encountered that demons at Soliel museum.

I could still feel the pain of those souls Lucifer tortured-my skin felt like it was peeling, my nails felt like they were being plucked from their cuticle-I didn't know how long I would be able to endure it.

And then suddenly, it all ended. It all stopped and all I could hear was Lucifer whispering, "It's okay..." repeatedly in my ear until I managed to control my breathing again. The flashing images ended in a blur until I blinked back unwanted, actual tears.

The air smelt clean and I was bombarded with the delicious scent of cologne.

I was in a warmly lit room that had extravagant red walls, carpet and a gigantic, king-sized red bed with gold trimmings. The only light came from the candles that was lit and placed around the large room. There was a crystal chandelier hanging from the high ceiling. As I widened my outlook on the room I noticed that there was a hearth with a burning fire, and a record player playing Chopin. There was a mahogany dining table that housed all the food mankind had ever created-or at least that's what it looked like. The room exuded danger and comfort and warmth.

I was standing in the middle of it all. Lucifer was next to me, watching me. His translucent eyes fixed on me on every movement I made.

I was still shaken up.

I felt so alive.

I felt... human.

"Thats because the Underworld can either grant your deepest desires or your deepest fears," Lucifer said.

"You can read minds, too, huh?"

"It's a gift," he shrugged.

"For monsters," I retorted.

"Yes," he nodded, a smile on his lips, "I won't lie. I am a monster. And being this being came with those fantastic telekinetic perks."

"It seems like everyone in the Underworld is full of it." I was still quivering. I couldn't control it.

"You don't have to be afraid," he said. "I don't want to harm you. You're special. That's why you died."

"Well, thats a first." I rolled my eyes.

"You want something to eat, perhaps?" Lucifer offered.

"My mother always told me never to accept food from Satan," I said. "No matter how hot he is."

"Hmm, you think I'm hot, huh?"

I swallowed the lump in my throat.

If only Satan wasn't so damn sexy! Shit, he can read my mind. He heard me say that. Okay, Meredith. Just don't make eye contact. Don't make eye-

"Look..." he broke my train of thought. I did. I looked at him. I shouldn't have. And everytime I tried to break the eye contact... I just, couldn't. Something prevented me from doing so. I realized then that it was Lucifer. He was the one preventing me from looking away. "I brought you here for one reason."

"And that is to feed me?"

"Well, no," he said, moving toward the buffet table. "I brought you here to grant your wishes. I want to make some sort of bargain or arrangement or deal, is better suited, with you."

Part of me was happy, elated even, about the fact that I might get my life back. The other part was rather, afraid. Sort of. It was the devil after all, and making a pact with Satan was in every bad supernatural movie; and it always ended badly. Lucifer was a tricky being. He was cruel. Not honest. He inhumane. Not sane. He would break me apart until I was nothing but a pile of stardust. And not the pretty kind.

"What deal?" I asked, weaving my fingers into one another anxiously.

"You can live again."

And that one sentence was enough to make me feel better only by a smidge. There was a flicker of hope that ignited within me.

"But," he said, in a clear voice, and just like that the flicker hope inside of me was snuffed out, "you have to give me something in return."

The smile that found its way to my lips was gone and I frowned. "What do you want?" I asked, noticing how badly I was shaking. I crossed my arms across my chest and bit down on my bottom lip.

"I want your power," he said.

"My power..." I trailed off. "The power you say I have, right?" He nodded. "What's so special about it that I had to die because of it?"

"Every single person on planet earth has a soul. Inside their soul is a power, if you must, and only the really strong can activate it. Sometimes you die with it and carry it on to your Elysium. Sometimes you die with it and you become a guardian angel, a ghost hunter, a Reaper, or whatever you may. And sometimes... sometimes people's soul power is activated way too early. It can either bring the world to its end. Or it can create world peace or some shit. Whatever it may be, if someone's soul power is activated when they're alive-psychics and witches or warlocks; they're somewhat harmless-but others... they bring horror."

"I would bring horror to the world?" I asked in a timid voice. I looked up at Lucifer with sadness and fear all rolled up in one.

"You would bring the end, love." Lucifer smiled and tossed me an apple. "Eat. Your soul is hungry."

I looked at the apple and frowned. "I'm not hungry." I stepped toward the table and placed the apple down.

Lucifer shrugged. "Suit yourself," and he reached out and bit into the apple in the most mesmerizing way.

"You can decide. This will be your chambers." Lucifer stood up from the table. "Make yourself... at home."

Lucifer disappeared in a cloud of smoke and I was left alone with a buffet and more questions than I had before.