Chapter 20

The blistering cold wind hit me as I walked back up to the porch of the cabin. The lights were on inside and the cabin was filled with mourners - Roman, Topher and Kassima (who had just found out about the death of Valerie) - I couldn't take it anymore and I needed air. But, after sitting outside in the cold for two hours watching the breath from my mouth dissipate in the air, I decided to back in and face the music.

In the end of life came death, I never expected there to be another death after death. Val had died. Twice. It was a tragedy; considering all she had been through.

I entered the living room and immediately regretted it. Three faces stared up at me unblinking. I shuffled to the couch and plopped myself down, breathing in the smoke from the hearth.

"I want to get them back," Topher said. "I want all of them dead."

Roman nodded. "The ghost hunters are there for that."

"Where were they when those demons were devouring her then?" Topher said through gritted teeth.

"Topher," I said, touching his hand but he pulled away.

"No," he said, "I know that you're going through a lot right now but so am I. I lost my best friend."

"Thanks a lot, Topher," Kassima muttered. I smiled. I was glad we came here. Kassima made things better - light hearted. Despite the death we had all experienced.

"I thought that this was it - we were dead... No more pain. But I was wrong," Topher sat down on the floor.

"There is a life after death," I said, remembering Moira's words.

Roman looked over at me and smiled. "And everything happens for a reason."

"You may not see it now," I added.

"But you will some day," Roman finished.

"What are you two?" Kassima said, good naturedly. "Its cute but barf-worthy."

We smiled, even Topher couldn't help but crack a smile.

"I can't believe she's gone," Kassima whispered. "For good. It hurts more than it should."

Topher sighed. "She was such a snarky bitch the first time I met her. You know she called me a, and I quote, 'stupid twat'?" He laughed, and added, "She's been my friend ever since."

"I met her when I was in the senior year of high school," Kassima said, after taking a swig of bourbon - she liked her whiskey strong. "I was walking home when I heard crying and I found her. She was so surprised to see me see her. I talked to my grandmother that night and she told me about psychics and whatnot. I spoke to Val ever since then."

"She was such a strong person," Roman said. "I never met anyone like her. Someone so young, and that's been through so much, but still manages to smile everyday."

"You... know?" Kassima asked with wide eyes.

"Of course I do. I can read minds." Roman said matter-of-factly.

"Wait, you two know?" Topher asked Kassima and Roman.

"Wait, you three knew?" I cut in, sarcastically. "We all three knew so can we kick that out the water already?"