Chapter 16

There was something different in the air when we got out of the limousine and stepped onto ground of the car-park. I felt more isolated than I had ever been before and found myself straying from my saviour, my husband, despite the talk we had in the clearing.

As Szilvia handled the driver, still disguised as President Butterly, Harry and I walked separately to the door of the room we were all meant to be sharing. Harry gave a sturdy knock and I held my breath as we heard the peep-hole slide open and then just as quickly shut. The door flung open to a smiling Twist who wrapped us both up in a hug and it made me uncomfortable.

"I knew you'd survive!"

No she didn't. She knew nothing.

Harry rubbed her back but I backed away. I was going to slink into the room before Sofia got stuck in my road.

"Is Szilvia with you? She literally jumped out of the van. If she isn't -"

"I'm right here"

Szilvia had appeared behind us in her true form. Well, maybe 'true form' wasn't the right phrasing but she had her ginger coils and contagious smile that made her look like the Szilvia we all knew and loved. Sofia barged passed the two of us and wrapped her up into a heart-warming hug. Szilvia looked so sad holding her just as tight and I felt guilty looking into her gloomy eyes in the moment.

"There's something I really have to tell you-"

"I love you too" Sofia hastily interrupted.

"No... Not that..." Szilvia sighed.

She closed her eyes which forced me to stop looking into them. Sofia must not have known about her condition. I shared a glance with Harry as we went to step inside as Twist had left the doorway but this time Henry blocked us off.

"You're alive"

"No thanks to you" I muttered.

"I just wanted to say I'm glad you are"

"How about an apology?" I spat back and shoved passed him.

I was tired and angry and bitter. It had been a long day. Harry and I slept in different beds - every single night we stayed in a motel until we returned to the base - we slept in different beds.

•••

I had grown rather sick of watching reruns of old sitcoms like Community with Twist while we waited for our morning slot to drive those four hours to the next motel. I loved the show but it had become trivial as did her company. So walking into A2 alone while she was off on Moth business for the first time in days made me sigh in relief.

I collapsed on the bed and breathed in the scent of clean sheets. I spent the day alone.

•••

There was a knock. I had been lying down doing absolutely nothing so ignoring it would've been rude and I'd have no excuses. Yet stretching my muscles and sliding off the bed seemed too difficult.

There was another knock. I sighed and slid off the bed but my lack of effort was staggeringly overwhelming. I found myself laying on the ground instead of answering the door. Why was I so damn tired?

Third knock. I quickly hopped up and pulled my grey slacks on. I stumbled over to the door and flung it open. I wasn't surprised to see Harry leaning there.

"What time is it?" I yawned.

He smiled at me and checked his watch.

"Eight P-M"

"It's so late" I whimpered.

"That's a sign that you're getting old" He teased and let himself in.