Chapter 18: The Winter Dance

Today was the last day of school before the Winter break. Tomorrow was Saturday and everyone would leave on Sunday night, except for me. Aira wasn't going home either, and neither were Denen and Brennen.

As I walked into Elemental Healing a hush fell over the room. I had told everyone in the Ice Dorms about me staying here over winter because after all they were not my best friends but close. And now that I thought about it, besides me and James fighting occasionally we were best friends.

I sat down next to James and the lesson continued.

"Today!" Mrs. Diana said in her motherly voice. "We will be attempting to find our spirit animals. My animal is a weasel, Soreins however is a leopard seal. As you can tell the animals reflect your personality."

"How do we find our animal?" Asked Elise.

"All you have to do is close your eyes." We all closed our eyes. "And think, deep into your brain to an icy environment."

"Why?" James asked. "Why an icy environment."

"Because." Mrs. Diana continued. "You are all Ice elementals, for Earth its an earthy place like a mountain. For water its a water creature and for Fire its a desert creature."

"Now continue looking deep into this landscape, imagine a figure running through the snow. What does it form into."

I did so, I saw an icy biome and in between to hills was an object. It ran towards me, soon it was not a silhouette a light glowing wolf with crystal colored eyes and light blue magic flying off of it in streams. I opened my eyes.

"Did anyone find there animal?" Questioned Diana.

Only me and Elise raised our hands.

"What about you Mrs. Lear?" The teacher asked motioning towards Elise.

"My animal is a reindeer." Elise told us all.

"Very good!" Mrs. Diana replied. "Reindeer are very smart and peaceful animals, it suites you."
"Thank you." Elise Smiled.

"What about you Mr. Hill?" The teacher asked me.

"My animal is a Wolf." I said confidently.

"A wolf!" Mrs. Diana said. "Why that is the rarest spirit animal for Ice, it means your a courageous, smart, nice, protective, and a leader. You should be proud."

I looked around the room. No one seamed to care but Elise who was starring at me as if I intrigued her. The bell rung a second later and we were dismissed.
As I walked down the hall I heard Elise calling my name.

"You!" She called. Elise dragged me into an empty class room by my arm.
"What!?" I asked slightly annoyed.
"You're a member of the Gifted Six!" Elise panted.
"What! That's... That's ridiculous!" I lied.
"Don't play dumb with me Jaxon!" Elise yelled.
"Fine!" I admitted. "But don't tell anyone else!"
"I knew it." Elise squealed.

There was a moment of silence then I left.
———–—–—–—–—–––––––––––––––––––—
I sat on the couch; I was deciding whether not I should go to the dance. Part of me was longing to go to the Fire dorm and ask Ella to the dance; but I knew I couldn't.
Finally I Madame up my mind. I put on my formal school ware and walked to the fire dorms in the snow. I knocked on the door. Ella answered.
"Hi Jaxon...." She said nervously.
"Hi..." I said awkwardly. "I don't think we can just be friends. I talked to Rose and she likes some Air boy."
"Good." Ella said embracing me in a hug.

Ella disappeared and came back a second later in a beautiful dress. The dress was red and went down to her knees. Her hair was down and I realized how beautiful she truly was.

"Lets go." She said with a smile.

We walked to the lake where the dance was being held. Soon we neared the lake. The scenery was beautiful. The trees were decorated with white lights. People were dancing on the lake which was completely frozen over. A table sat in front of a  bush that rapped around either side.

A slow dance song was playing. I pulled Ella onto the dance floor; I had never actually slow danced, but no one who was dancing had either, they were just moving back and forth together.
Ella rested her head on my shoulder and we copied the others and moved back and forth slowly.

Ella perked her head up. "I have to go!" She explained. Ella ran off leaving me alone on the dance floor. I looked around. Couples were dancing to the music, people were eating some snacks at the snack table, but there was one person who broke the image. Rose sat alone on a bench away from everything else crying.

I walked over to her.
"Are you alright Rose?" I asked her.
"No." She sobbed. "I'm not. Nothing in my life ever goes right; you don't like me, Teagan likes Aira; Nothing ever; ever goes right for me; EVER!"
I sat down beside her. "Rose, sometimes the people we love most don't realize they love us till its to late."

Rose starred at me. Her sea blue eyes stared at me. Rose moved in and kissed me on the lips. What was happening; and why was I kissing back. I liked Ella not Rose. I pulled back just in time to see Ella's face starring at us in hate, aww, and sadness.