6

So many things come from people's parents lying to them about the truth about things. I feel like, once those ideas die with people, we'll be good in a couple of generations.
-Vince Staples

Marcel
Long Beach, CA
A Month Later

I decided since I'm off today I would go ahead and head to Long Beach and visit my people. Plus, I'm going out later with Matika and she told me she'll meet me out there. I've been so busy with work I haven't seen my mom and sisters in a month. Even my cousin, Joey. I pulled up to the block parking on the side of the road. I got out pushing the lock button walking towards the house. It looked unusually empty. I looked at the papers on the door furrowing up my eyebrows. I saw my old neighbor in the yard so I went towards the gate saying, "Ay, what's up with the note?"

"You didn't know? Ya momma don't live there anymore. Haven't in weeks. They got put out, I think." I sighed thanking the old woman who knows everything that's happening on the block. That nosy neighbor in everybody's business, but sometimes came in handy. Other times you wanted to punch her because she was quick to snitch to the police if they came around asking questions. I'm trying to figure out why my mom didn't tell me she moved.

I went to my car dialing Joey's number. "Wassup, cuz?" He said coughing on smoke.

"Ay, you know where my momma lives now?" I decided to ask him because there's obviously a reason they didn't tell me.

"She moved in with your granny over in Compton, last time I heard."

"Aiight. How you know she moved, but I didn't?" I asked as I put my seatbelt on then put my car in drive pulling off. I decided to just go to Compton and see what's up with my mom. What's really going on?

"I helped them move. You know how you are...Fall off the radar and shit."

"I've been working hella hard. Something you wouldn't know anything about," I said throwing a shot chuckling. "Char hasn't been back to work since Chip died, so I've been covering her half of the rent."

"Man, I'm convinced you like her or even love her. If it was any other bitch you would not be spending your money for them."

"Cause she's not a bitch. That's my friend and I know this shit is hard for her. She's basically lost everybody. She lost Jabari, her son and even her mother because she's not talking to her. When she's ready she'll go back to work. Anyway, you know why my mom moved?"

"They got put out. They lost the house."

"What? How? My granddaddy bought that house after he got out of the army along with the one in Compton. Paid it completely off."

"I don't know, but they sure did kick them out. Something to do with the government." I sighed telling him bye then hanging up. I don't know why she didn't tell me. I would've never let that happen. Even if that meant fucking somebodies office up. All my family had left was property. Two in Compton and one in Long Beach and they just took it. This is exactly why I had the mentality I had back in the day. They snatch stuff from us and think we'll never take something back. Just thinking about this was pissing me off and I felt like I was having old Marcel thoughts. I turned my radio up vibing to Senorita by Vince Staples as I got on the highway.

Once I got to Compton I went to my grandma on my dad's sides house. I pulled up getting out where I saw my sister sitting on the porch. As I walked through the gate my sister got up running in the house. I furrowed up my brows. Why is she acting like that? She didn't even greet my ass. As I walked up the porch steps my mother came out of the house blocking the door. "Hey, Selly!" She said smiling and hugging me.