20

I been ugly and thuggin' my whole life.
-Vince Staples

Matika
Long Beach, CA

I sat in my office at the Long Beach Community Center where I work with the kids. I tapped my pen looking at a notepad where I had ideas for the next event scribbled out. None of my ideas seemed different or good enough. I sighed putting my head in my hands when I heard, "Knock, knock, knock, delivery!" When I looked up to see Marcel holding flowers I looked over at the time.

I forgot I was supposed to be out of here by noon to start getting ready for this award show he asked me to go with him to. "For you," he said handing me the bouquet of red roses.

"Thank you," I said grabbing them. "Let me just log out." I sat the bouquet of roses on my desk then went back to looking at the computer screen.

Out of the corner of my eye I could see Marcel pick something up off of my desk. "Event ideas..." he read aloud.

"I'm having a little trouble with that hence the many mark outs."

"You could do a celebrity panel. You can have celebrity's who were once gang members talk to the kids. Entertainers, athletes, entrepreneurs, so on. Show them they can make it out too if they just focus up."

"That's actually a good idea, but I don't know any celebrities. How would I get them to come to my event?"

"That's what I'm for. I got this. I'm the plug, Tika!"

I chuckled saying, "If you can get some to agree then I'll put it together." He nodded his head in agreement. After I made sure I was logged out of everything I turned it off next. I grabbed my purse and the flowers standing up saying, "Okay I'm ready."

He opened my office door letting me go through first when I bumped into someone. "Sorry," I said as I looked up to see Rashad standing there with flowers too. I twisted my lip up feeling a serge of awkwardness.

"I got these for you, but I see you already got some." I was immediately regretting going to lunch with Rashad just once. One lunch was enough to know I didn't like him. He was too boring. Maybe that's what I need, but I just can't see it.

"Awkwarddd..." Marcel sang in the background.

"Um, thank you anyway. It's the thought that counts," I said trying to rush passed him.

"You didn't tell me you had a boyfriend," Rashad said stopping me.

"I don't. Rashad, this is my ex, Marcel. Marcel, this is a guy who plans charity events."

"A guy who plans charity events," I heard him mumble in disbelief. I don't know why because he's nothing more to me.

"We have to go. Thanks for the flowers, I guess. See you around." I said grabbing Marcel's arm dragging him out. I couldn't stand the awkwardness any longer.

"Ohhh, so you went and got you a big, buff 50 cent in the G-Unit, bullet proof vest days ass nigga? I see you, Teek! You got tired of these gangsters and ugly thugs, so you gotta body builder."

I rolled my eyes saying, "I didn't get anybody. We've just been working together. How were the European bitches treating you?"

"Coo, coo. I finally got to test the theory that they suck dick with no questions asked. They're more easy going than black gi-" before he could even finish I wacked him with the flowers sending petals flying off. "Chill out! I was just kidding," he said laughing.