10

You have to be able to differentiate between the different areas of life. It shows that we're all separate people, we're all different, but we're all the same...
-Vince Staples

Char
Long Beach, CA

I slid the customers items across the scanner then put them in the bags

I slid the customers items across the scanner then put them in the bags. I looked at the clock on the wall seeing I get off soon, so I turned my light off. "You'll be my last customer," I told the woman behind the person I was checking out now.

Not only did I move out from the apartment with Marcel, but I quit working at Nordstrom Rack. I just didn't want to have to see Matika who was always giving me dirty looks. Now I work at Walmart and live back with my mom. From what I heard Marcel and Matika are still together. I don't know that I thought fighting and telling her I slept with him was going to do. I guess I thought she would dump him then he'll realize he has feelings for me after all. Wrong!

After getting off of work I walked through the store on my phone. I randomly clicked my period tracker because I couldn't remember the last time I had one to be quite honest. When I looked at it I realized I never had one this month. I froze looking up from my phone when a woman bumped into me. She glared at me continuing to walk as I turned in the opposite direction. I went to the hygiene section snatching a pregnancy test up then going to self checkout.

As soon as I got home I went to the kitchen grabbing a water bottle drinking at least half of it. I went to the bathroom peeing on the stick then sitting it on the counter while I washed my hands. I drummed on the sink counter taking glances at the test every second as the timer wound down. It finally went off as my heartbeat picked up. I turned the timer off sighing heavily picking the test up. I looked at it when the bathroom door bust open, "Ooh! I gotta pee!" I heard my mom's voice say as she did a potty dance. "Oh, I'm sorry." She said still coming into the bathroom. No privacy I guess. "What's that in your hand?" She asked proceeding to sit on the toilet like I'm not in here.

"Um, I think I'm pregnant." I said holding the test up. Not think, I am. I've gone through this before.

"Again? I could've swore I warned you about this after you had Chip. I thought you are on birth control?"

"I am," I said moving to the side so she could wash her hands. "But I switched from the shot to the pill. Maybe that's why."

"So whose baby is it?"

"Whose do you think it is, ma?"

She sighed, "You guys didn't use protection?"

"No," I said biting my nails. "It wasn't like that was planned."

"Char, are you that stupid? You knew you wanted to jump his bones so you should've given him one yourself. That's hoe 101. Even if he doesn't have one, you should. I swear your ass is as fertile as a Hispanic person."