19

Hopefully New Zealand let me stay, and they don't kick me out and ban me. And I hope I don't get killed by a kangaroo, 'cuz I heard that happens out there.
-Vince Staples

Char
Orange County, CA

I pulled up to the address Marcel's mother gave me surprised at the huge house in Orange County I saw

I pulled up to the address Marcel's mother gave me surprised at the huge house in Orange County I saw. I guess Marcel is doing well with the music thing. After Jaiden giving me the silent treatment for days I finally decided to at least reach out to Marcel's mother. Regardless of Marcel and I not being friends she still checked on me and I did the same. I just never mentioned I had his child.

I looked at Maurice in his carseat through the rear view mirror sighing deeply. I took my seatbelt off grabbing my bag then getting out of my car. I got Maurice from the backseat putting him on my hip. I went up to the door ringing the doorbell waiting. Finally, Edna opened the door letting me in. I was just hoping when I told her about Maurice she doesn't go Compton on me or worse Piru. Marcel's mom isn't a little lady and she's from the streets, so she would tear my little ass up.

She showed me to the living room where we sat down. I placed Maurice in my lap as she reached over saying, "Hi cutie!" Maurice smiled then waved at her. "He looks just like Chip. Your mama told me you had a baby, but I didn't believe it. I heard you have a store too. Everybody's doing well for themselves, I see."

"Yeah, I see that too." I said looking around the huge house. "Marcel got you living right. You live here alone?"

"No, Matika lives here too but not for long. She wants to up and leave me. Marcel is barely home. He's always traveling doing shows."

"Matika lives here?" I asked looking around getting uncomfortable.

"Yeah, she's probably getting ready for work right now."

"She's not going to come down here, right?"

"Probably not. Why?"

"Nothing," I said sighing.

"So, what brings you by? You said you wanted to talk..."

"Um, I have something I need to tell you. I need you to promise not to tell Marcel. Not yet, at least. I want to tell him myself when I'm ready. I just wanted to tell you first."

"Spit it out, Char!" Edna said with a chuckle. She won't be laughing in a second.

"How many grandkids do you have?" I asked trying to stall.

"Only 2. Why?" She asked furrowing up her eyebrows.

"Make that 3!" I said putting on a smile waving my hand in front of Maurice.

"Oh lord!" Edna said loudly falling all over the place dramatically. I put Maurice down on the floor to play then grabbed a magazine fanning her. I really wasn't expecting her to react like this. I thought she would be more on the mad, angry side because she's a tough lady. As long as I've known Marcel she's dressed like a dude. Now she's over here falling out like a delicate pansy.