8

Care and pity are two different things.
-Vince Staples

Marcel
Long Beach, CA

I sat in the bleachers of Ramona Park after a game of basketball. I wiped my face with my shirt looking at my cousin, Joey who had a stupid grin on his face. "So you're telling me you have two chicks your fucking living under the same roof? You got Peter Gunz beat, my nigga!" He said laughing then extending his hand for a dap.

I shook my head pushing his hand away. "First of all, I'm not fucking either. I HAD sex with Char. Note the past tense. I know school was hard for you. Past tense means it happened in the past, not now, not the present or future. Only once at that. And I'm not fucking Matika either."

"Wait, wait, wait! Screech! Pump yo breaks. You're not fucking Matika? I thought you just said she's your girl now." Matika and I decided to make it official. I haven't been in a relationship in a long time, but we just clicked.

"She is, we just haven't gone there yet. She's not that type of girl."

"Not even a taste?" He asked sticking his tongue in between two fingers.

"I wouldn't tell you that anyway. Chill the fuck out!" I said pushing him back.

"Nigga you gay!" He said laughing. "I would've fucked one then went across the hall fucking the next," he said humping the air.

"And that's exactly why you got crabs that one time," I said busting out laughing as he gave me a stank face.

"That wasn't funny. How did the baddest bitch at our school end up giving me crabs? Shit wasn't right."

"You know what they say...Looks can be deceiving."

He waved me off, "That still didn't teach me anything. If she looks good, I'm bagging. So, does Char know Matika is your girlfriend now?"

I shrugged, "I don't think so. Does it really matter? What we did was nothing. She couldn't get mad if she wanted to."

"Then why are you hiding your relationship with Matika?" He said raising a brow at me.

"I'm not hiding it! Its only been a millisecond, damn! I've always been a lowkey person and you know that. What am supposed to do? Go to Char's room and announce at the top of my lungs I'm with Matika? I think both Char and I realized it was a mistake."

"If you say so...Ay, did you hear?"

"Hear what?" I asked raising my eyebrow.

"Gee's brother is getting out of jail. I heard he wants revenge."

I sighed, "Don't they all. Niggas keep claiming they're going to get me. I'm sitting right here in Long Beach and nobody has yet to come at me. I'm not hiding. I have no problem catching the fade. I'm right here!" I yelled raising my arms as birds flew away.

Joey laughed saying, "I'm sure he wants more than the fade. Gee is paralyzed from when you shot him."

"He brought that on himself. I told him he didn't want problems with me and he kept trying me. You know I don't draw a gun for nothing."

Gee was a dude around the same age as me back in high school who moved from Compton with his family. They were bloods back there and tried to bring that shit out here. Everybody knows there are no bloods in Long Beach. They tried to start beef with us and I put that to an end quickly. When it's real beef niggas get shot or worse killed. Not that online nonsense. What's online beef to on sight beef? He tried to run up on me with a gun, but he's the one who got a bullet in his spine. We didn't have problems out of them ever again. I guess his brother wants to restart this beef from centuries ago. He should know I'm not on that type of shit anymore, but if you bring the problems to me you'll find them.