13

"When niggas hated us, but didn't want problems. Rule #1 never give Vince the gun, too trigger happy. Somebody got shot that night. #3230."
-Joey Fatts

Char
Long Beach, CA

I pulled up to the place I pick him up from three times a week

I pulled up to the place I pick him up from three times a week. I stopped at the fire lane pulling my phone out dialing his number. When he answered I said, "I'm here." He said okay then I hung up and waited. A few seconds later I saw him come out of the automatic sliding doors of the physical therapist office for his rehab treatment. I got out of the car going up to him to help him. "How was it?"

"The doctor said I made progress, so that's good." He looked down on me smiling as I looked up doing the same. I was a little iffy about giving Jaiden a chance not only because I'm pregnant, but because not only did he just get out of jail but he's already getting shot at. He's nice though. I'll give him that. We're just getting to know each other right now. I'm 6 months pregnant now. He knows about the adoption and he doesn't judge me for it. That was a plus.

I grabbed his crutches putting them in the backseat then helping him into the passenger side. Once he was in I went around to the drivers side getting in. As we drove I said, "You know you never told me what happened that night..."

He shrugged, "I just got into it with somebody and I got shot and stabbed. That's it."

"That's it? Do you know who did it?"

"Yeah, but I'm for damn sure not talking to the police. I'm no snitch."

"You're one of those, huh?" I said rolling my eyes. Niggas will keep their mouth shut to stick to the code no matter what. Their mother could've been killed and they still wouldn't talk. Street dudes love to chuck it up to "code", but I think it's fear. But you'll never hear a guy admit that they're actually scared of the person who did it or of someone else coming for them. I never bought the hard acts these guys portray. They're just as scared as everybody else.

"What's that supposed to mean?" He asked looking over at me.

I shrugged, "What's wrong with the police? I really wish people would understand there's a difference between snitching and giving the police information. Snitching is when you get caught for something but you give up names to get less time. Basically you bring others down with you because you got caught. Telling the police what happened to you won't be snitching."

"Maybe you're right, but I'm still not talking to them. And then what? They're going to ask why I was there and what led up to it. I'm good on that." It got quiet for a minute then he said, "You're from the North side. Do you know a dude named Marcel Young?"