35

My brothers used to beat me up, but I used to fight my sisters 'cuz I couldn't hit them back, so I had to find specific severe ways to punish them.
-Vince Staples

Charaya
Los Angeles, CA

I stood at the check out counter of my store spaced out

I stood at the check out counter of my store spaced out. I looked at the window that had mannequins on display looking at people walking passed. I wasn't thinking about anything in particular but my mind was somewhere else. I've been completely avoiding Marcel since I've come back from New York City. It helps that he's still out of state. My phone began to ring breaking my concentration. I looked at it furrowing my eyebrows at the unfamiliar number, but still answered. "Hello?"

"Char, it's your mom. Don't hang up." Right as she said that I hit end sitting my phone back down. I shook my head rolling my eyes at the same time. I haven't talked to her since she was arrested for driving under the influence and endangering a child. I just couldn't believe she was willing to put my child in danger like that...again.

I sighed to myself deciding to go to the back to my office. I sat at my desk resting my head on it. My head was filled with thoughts and they seemed to be jumbling together.

I thought about how I've been avoiding Cole too. I just needed to distance myself from her and I don't think an explanation is necessary. But it was hard to avoid her when she popped up at my store one day. I kept it honest with her about not wanting to be friends anymore. She didn't take it well. We got into an argument then she tried to destroy my store. I called the police on her and everything.

"Char?" I heard a female voice say. I looked up to see one of my employee's, Ashley, standing in the doorway. I gave her a head nod telling her she can say what she wants to say. "Have you checked your phone?"

"No. Why?" I asked sitting up fully at attention.

"You might wanna see what Cole posted. She's going off airing all your business out."

I groaned grabbing my phone going to Instagram. Sure enough I was being tagged in a picture by a bunch of people. I looked at it beginning to read it laughing in disbelief.

 I looked at it beginning to read it laughing in disbelief