26

"He's the prince of Long Beach right now. He's going to come for that crown pretty soon."
-Joey Fatts on his cousin, Vince Staples

Matika
Orange County, CA

I walked into the house throwing my keys down sighing as I ran my hands through my hair

I walked into the house throwing my keys down sighing as I ran my hands through my hair. I started for the kitchen when I heard, "Bring your ass in here." I turned in the direction of Marcel's voice seeing him in the formal living room sitting in the dark.

I flicked the light on asking, "Why you got all the lights cut out like you ain't pay the light bill?" I walked into the room taking my cross body bag from around me sitting next to him. "What's wrong?"

"What's wrong? Don't play clueless. Char just called me saying you slapped her. What the hell happened?!"

I sucked my teeth saying, "I didn't slap that bitch. I love tapped her. Ol over dramatic ass!"

"Why were you two even in the same place? I said I would set it up so you two could talk."

"Me and Venita went shopping out in Los Angeles. We walk in some store on some regular shit next thing you know I see her. I decided to be friendly and go up to her. She started talking reckless and disrespectful so somehow my hand ended up against her cheek."

"Somehow?" He asked raising his eyebrows. He rubbed his forehead, "What she was saying better be worth it to cause these unneeded problems. What did she say?"

"She was saying how I changed you. She said when we broke up you asked her to breakup with her man, so y'all could be a family. That the only reason we're back together is because she said no. Is that true?"

Marcel jerked his head back seeming offended. "Don't even question no shit like that. You know better than that. I would never say that. If anything I was telling her about how I was just waiting for us to get back together. I wonder why she would say something like that? She has a dude. I don't like him, but she has somebody."

I shrugged saying, "She clearly still feels a type of way. She needs to be put in her place. I know mine, so she should too. She's the child's mother and I'm the girlfriend. I make sure I'm respectful according to the child and she should be according to you. Simple."

"Yeah, we need to have a talk. All together."

"I was wrong for slapping her simply because I know it'll cause problems for you. Hopefully she doesn't keep your son away because of me."

"Hell no! I wish she fucking would." I nodded my head in agreement as it fell quiet. "I'm proud of you..." He said looking over at me.