Sins Of The Past- Chapter Eight

Chapter Eight

The four hour flight from Idaho to New York was tedious. Emma sat beside Adam, and the tension was palpable. He was nervous, and the anxiety reverbated off him in waves. It left Emma feeling uncomfortable, and guilty.

"It will be fine, Adam. We have a place to stay and I'll see if I can get my job at Rock's Deli back. It's not much, but it's better than nothing," Emma was unsure of who she was trying to convince. Adam or herself.

"Yeah, that's fine and all, but what about him? He's going to be around now," Adam mumbled, as he continued to stare out of the window.

"He won't come around, or be around Adam. Why would he? He broke up with me, remember?" Emma tried to reassure him, but the truth was, after hearing Abby tell her that Bennett was never with Genevieve, she was no longer so sure of herself.

Regardless, Emma had to smile. She was going home. Home home home. Saying goodbye to Idaho was with the utmost pleasure. She never cared to go back to that dull way of living ever again. She would not move away from New York again. 

 "There's more to it than that, and you know it," Adam still did not even turn to look at her as he spoke.

Emma knew exactly what he meant.

Back before she left for New York with her family, the rumour mill had begun turning. The whole town had become suspicious of Adam abusing Emma, and the word had gotten back to her parents. When her father had approached her about it, she had denied that Adam had laid a hand on her, ever. It had started when Emma's math teacher Mrs Cordell had found them in an altercation in the deserted corridor at school when they should have been in class. Emma had seen Adam chatting to one of the cheerleaders, and had confronted him about it. When Mrs Cordell came out, Adam had Emma's arm in a tight grasp, while Emma was asking him to let her go. No body could prove a thing, both of them had denied it ever happened. Emma always managed to cover up any brusises or scratches Adam gave her, and most of the time they were located in places that could easily be covered up. But when she began wearing sweaters and long sleeved shirts in the middle of summer, it had set off alarm bells even more.

When the time came for Emma to leave, her parents had banned her from seeing Adam, and her father had not been to New York for a whole two months, instead keeping watch over Emma.

Now what would they think, and say, knowing that she was returning with him by her side?

"We'll get through it,' Emma squeezed his hand reassuringly.

What else could she say? Everything that they suspected was true, but she was willing to fight for Adam. He needed her, and right now, she needed him. Losing him for six years was hard enough. If she had left him behind in Idaho there would be no telling what would have become of him. She would never have her mind at ease, knowing he was out there, alone. Besides, facing Bennett with Adam by her side would be so much easier. Perhaps what Abby said was not even true. Perhaps he had been with Genevieve, still was with her. It could have just been a ploy to get Emma to come back.

Selfishly, she hoped not.

----------------------------------------------

Upon arrival at JFK airport, Emma and Adam collected their luggage and headed out.

Through the crowds of people, Emma managed to spot Abby, and saw her on the phone, head turned away looking as though she was arguing with the other person on the line. She was frowning and waving her hand in the air, as if shooing away a fly. Emma frowned. What was going on?

"Abby!" She called out, unable to hold on any longer.

Seeing Abby bought tears to Emma's eyes. Looking around, at all the people, the crowds, the commotion going on, Emma felt as though she had been brought back to life. Revived. This was more like it.