Sins Of The Past- Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

Emma sat, frozen to her seat. She was well aware she was staring, quite possibly with her mouth gaping open, but she just could not look away. Her mind was slow processing these two words that had just blown her world apart.

She was staring at Taylor.

Emma was beyond shocked, beyond surprised. Her throat was so tight she could hardly breathe. Her body was awash with anxiety, that began as a tingling sensation in her feet and slowly climbed all the way up her body.

Taylor smiled, almost as though she was pleased with her reaction. It was not a nice smile, not a welcoming smile. It seemed vicious, hostile. She was revelling in making Emma feel as uncomfortable as she possibly could.

Get yourself together, Emma. Snap out of it! Don’t give her the upper hand!

The voice was so loud in Emma’s mind that she wondered if Taylor could actually sense what she was thinking. But she sat there, with that wicked grin on her face that seemed to hold all the power.

“You’re Taylor?”

A million thoughts ran through her mind at a whirlwind pace as she gathered her courage to finally speak.

What was she doing in New York?

What did she want?

Why was she looking for her?

Taylor nodded, and placed her drink slowly on the table. “I’m Taylor,”

“What are you doing in New York?” Emma was glad her voice sounded much stronger than how she felt.

Taylor shrugged, “I live not far from here,”

Once again, Emma’s world seemed to crash down, with a huge dawn of realisation.

“Where, exactly?”

Taylor frowned, as though she was unsure whether she wanted Emma to know that part.

“Hoboken,” She replied cautiously.

Emma knew the answer before it was said. It was like an arrow to the heart, a harpoon headed straight for it.

Was he cheating on her with Taylor? Was she now Josh? Had Adam missed her tonight, then? Or had he still had the chance to see her before she headed out to come here? Why would she come here?

She decided to pace this out, compose herself before asking irrational questions. The way she felt right now, she just wanted to run away.

“So, you’re Taylor. What exactly do you want from me?” Emma sipped at the last few drops of her cosmopolitan, knowing full well that Abby was not coming back. This was starting to fall into place quite nicely.

It was all a set up.

“I just thought I’d take this chance to see what the prodigal girlfriend looks like, who she is. And I must say, you do live up to everything Adam told me about you. You’re gorgeous,” The insincerity dripped from her voice.

“Well, you’ve seen me. There’s really no point to this,”

If Taylor’s attitude had been different, less snarky and spiteful and more subdued, than it would have been different. Emma would have liked to have taken this opportunity to speak to her, and get all the information out of her about what else Adam was hiding. Like this though, Emma had no hope. Taylor was sitting so high and mighty above her, it didn’t seem as though she wanted to come down.

The shock of it all still had not worn off. Emma wasn’t sure if she wanted to end the meeting, or try to get more information out of her. She was suspicious though, of what exactly she was brought here to say.