Sins Of The Past- Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

She was struggling to breathe, fighting to push Adam off from her.

He was on top of her as she crouched on the floor, her legs huddled up against her chest. Her personal space invaded, smothered by him as he held onto her, much too tightly.

“Adam, get off me,” Her voice was muffled.  His hand covered her mouth, so she would not scream. She could barely raise her head up from his overpowering hold on her.

“I need to know that we’ll get through this. Please, promise me that,” Adam was pleading with her, and she would do anything to get him away from her.

She felt as though she might die like this.

Having overpowered her previous attempts to break free, Adam just would not let her go.

“Emma, I can’t lose you. I have nothing, I’m nothing without you,”

The words took her back, all the way back to her days in Ohio, when he would say this to her after he’d hit her.

It came as no surprise to Emma to hear those words again. Not anymore.

She was tired from the struggle, tired from pushing him away to no avail. How long had she been sitting there, on the floor with him wrapped around her like a blanket? It was stifling.

Her anxiety and panic had long settled in, but her flight response was battered. She’d attempted to scream, attempted to hit him and to get away from him but he had stopped her. Every time.

Now, she was barely able to catch her breath, her body feeling as though she had just run a marathon.

Not knowing what else to do, the fear gripping her and keeping her high, she began to relax her body, in the hopes that he would see that as a sign that he could release her.

Miraculously, it worked.

“If I take my hand off your mouth, will you scream?” He asked her, cautiously, a few minutes later.

Emma shook her head. Not yet, anyway.

He took his hand away slowly, and she immediately sucked in the fresh air, shaking uncontrollably.

They sat there, in silence for what seemed like eternity.

She could not look at him, refused to, but she knew he was watching her. His stare felt like it was boring into her, burning her.

“I’m sorry,”

Even after his apology, Emma still did not look up. She’d had just about as much as she could take from him, and she knew she had to tell him that this, well it had all gone too far.

More minutes passed, with the length of a lifetime.

“Emma, please. I’m trying to tell you I’m sorry. Listen to me, answer me,” He attempted to slip a finger under her chin to bring her face up to meet his, but she jerked away.

“I won’t forgive this, Adam.”

Her voice came out and it felt like an out of body experience. Someone else was speaking for her, almost. It was all too surreal.

“Yes, you can. You can forgive this, Emma. You love me, and I love you and nothing is better than this,”

“Your son is better than this,” Emma whispered, and the tears began to fall.

“No,” He pressed his forehead up against hers. “He’s not. I want you, I need you. You will be the only person I will ever love, the only person who can accept everything I’ve done wrong. It will always be you. You will forgive me Emma, you have to. You just have to,”