To New Beginnings- Chapter Fourteen

Chapter Fourteen

Emma savoured the wine in her mouth, relishing in the clean, crisp and expensive taste of it. This was her third glass, and she was feeling a little light headed.

Having walked into Bennett’s apartment for the first time since she left New York had been a whirlwind of emotions. Part of her, a huge part, wanted to walk in and never walk out. She wanted to belong here, she wanted to call this home, like she had once come so close to doing.

Bennett sat across from her, the oak dining table feeling as though it was some sort of barrier between them. She wanted him in her arms, holding her like he had in the car on the way here. She needed him, needed something.

The more she thought, the more her mind spun out of control. How could she fling herself into his arms and never let him go? How was Bennett going to make everything better? He was just a man, at the end of the day, and he did not have the power to cure her demons. Surely she could not be so dumb as to think he could?

The car ride home had helped her get herself back on track. He had held her the whole time, yet she still did not feel whole. She still felt broken inside, and it scared her. Deep inside she knew, had realised that he was not going to be her saving grace.

But tonight, he just might be.

“How was the chicken?” Bennett broke the silence, “You haven’t eaten much,”

Emma prodded the oven roasted chicken breast topped with swiss cheese and bacon with her fork. It had been quite delicious, the few bites she’d had. Mrs Hayne, Bennett’s housekeeper, was a fantastic cook. She always had been.

“It’s fine. I’m just not that hungry,” Emma lifted her glass, feeling Bennett’s eyes bore into her as she took a sip.

“Emma, are you sure you’re okay?” His voice was calm, yet stern.

Emma rolled her eyes. “I’m fine,”

“The food is fine, you’re fine, everything is fine, right?” Bennett’s tone suddenly grew a little stronger.

Emma could tell she had hit a nerve with him.

There was only one thing Emma was interested in at this point of the evening, and finishing her dinner was certainly not it. She smiled at him, trying to look convincing.

“I’m here with you, aren’t I? That means I am fine,”

Bennett frowned, clearing his throat. He did not seem convinced in the slightest.

Emma drank in the sight of him, still dressed in his work attire, a black suit and grey tie. He looked exquisite. How could she be the one sitting here with him? She was a mess, and she did not deserve to be there.

Before she could allow herself to fall deeper into her misery trap, Emma shut down all wayward thoughts.

She stood up and walked over to him, her fingers tracing the table top as she went. She moved slowly, sensually, her eyes fixed with his the entire time.

When she reached him, she wrapped her arms around his shoulders, her head coming to rest on one of them. Inhaling his smell, of expensive cologne and him, she closed her eyes.

His hand moved up and held her forearm, rubbing it gently.

“I missed you so much,” He whispered, and Emma’s heart melted at the sound of those words.