Sins Of The Past- Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

“If you’re even thinking about forgiving Adam for this, I’ll ask the doctor to rewire your brain,”

Emma smiled and squeezed Abby’s hand. “I won’t,”

Did she feel the courage of her conviction? Not entirely. For even though Bennett had spent a good few hours by her side, her mind had been elsewhere.

All she could worry about was where had Adam gone? What would happen to him now? What he had done was horrible, beyond what he had ever done to her before, but she just could not shake the feeling that now he was out of her life, he’d be lost out there.

He had already told her that he wouldn’t cope without her. Had told her that he was nothing without her. The thought made her cringe inwardly, for to show any emotion on the outside would just start everyone up again.

When she had heard these words that night, they had meant nothing but a desperate bid to keep her in place. It had all seemed so cunning, and she had not bought into it one bit. Now though, the words replayed viciously over and over in her mind, and they seemed so real.

Having Bennett by her side was the one and only thing that helped numb the feelings, the worries. He was a great distraction, and she needed him by her side.

“He can go have Taylor and be a family with her,” Abby continued, as she stroked Emma’s hand.

“But he doesn’t want Taylor,” Emma replied, grateful that her throat was feeling a little better.

Abby’s eyes grew wide with horror. “I don’t believe you, Emma. Who cares what he wants! He can go and rot for what he did to you,”

Abby had replayed the moment Adam had flung the door open and ran out, shouting about how sorry he was.

Abby had heard Emma cry out, and when her banging on the door brought no answer, she had called the police, and told Adam she had done so. That’s when he rushed out, and pushed Abby to the ground. She said he had been crying and looked a mess.

She had found Emma lying on the ground, out cold with bruises all over her neck, chest and arms.

Adam had tried to strangle her, and when she had passed out, he’d believed he had killed her, so he fled.

Emma couldn’t believe it had come to this. She had always been able to handle the abuse, understood he couldn’t help it because of the life he knew. She understood now, that at times, it was her fault that she had pushed him to his breaking point. But this? This was on him, and there was nothing she could do to try to make herself believe that she was to blame.

The realisation hurt, as she slowly began to see that it had not always been her fault, even when she thought it was.

She began to cry. Abby stood up and adjusted Emma’s pillow and blankets before wiping away her tears with a tissue.

“Emma, you can’t cry for Adam anymore. Not after this. You will let him go because you have to,”

Emma knew she was right. Adam was not going to ever stop hurting her, whether he was here or somewhere else, whether he promised he wouldn’t or not. The lies were never going to stop coming, or so it seemed. He had ruined what could have been the rest of their lives together. She could have eventually let all of Bennett go, as much as she still cared for him. She would have learnt to give herself entirely to Adam and to give the thoughts of Bennett up. But she had believed in Adam too much, and now it was over.

Abby spent the whole night sleeping in a chair beside Emma. She was free to return home the next day, and had decided to go and stay with her parents in Gramercy Park, rather than risk Adam returning to Abby’s apartment. Jake, Abby’s boyfriend, would stay with her until things settled down.