Her Secret Father

Her Secret Father

Chapter 1- Sour Skittles

Dress shopping was not my thing. Agreeing to be my best friend, Kylah’s, maid of honor was beginning to be a pain in the ass. Don’t get me wrong, I’m happy that she asked me but I don’t think I can handle any more dress shopping. We have been looking for my “perfect” dress for over a month. When will she see that I don’t have a “perfect” dress?

I don’t think I have worn a dress since I was 16, when I was a bridesmaid at my brother, Berkley’s, wedding, and that was 9 years ago!

I still cant believe my best friend was getting married before me. When we were growing up she always told me I was going to get married at 22 and have a billion kids that she would look after while my husband and I went out for alone time. I’m starting to believe its going to be me doing the babysitting though. With all my friends married and my brothers having kids, I will be getting left out more. Kylah was the one that would hang out with me while the others were with their partners but now she has her own and is going to be gone for the next 2 weeks on her honeymoon.

Breaking me from my recent thoughts, Kylah shouted to me from across the store, “What about this one, Blair??” She was holding up a bright pink, fluffy dress that looked as if it would only come to mid thigh. No, thank you.

“Pink isn’t even in your color scheme!” I replied rolling my eyes.

“I don’t even care anymore! If we can find a dress that you like, I will change my color scheme. You only have 2 more weeks until the wedding!” She screeched. Damn mood swings.

“Why can’t I just wear my normal clothes? At least I will be comfortable.” I replied, rolling my eyes.

“I swear if you show up to my wedding wearing a pair of greased jeans and a plaid button

up shirt I will kill you right then and there. I won’t even feel bad afterwards. Do you understand?” She growled lowly. Jeesh I was just joking.

I pouted before sticking my tongue out at her and racing out of the store. “Catch me and I will wear any dress you want, Kylah!” I yelled to her. Knowing she couldn’t catch up with me while carrying the bag that held her wedding dress and being two months pregnant, I ran to Barnes and Noble and went back to the fantasy/romance section and pulled out a book that sounded good.

It was only 30 minutes later and 50 pages into my book that I heard her storming through the doors to Barnes and Noble.

“I swear Blair if I find you in here reading a book I am going to go to your apartment and burn every book you own. Do you know how many times I have almost gotten kicked out of this mall? Three! Three, I tell you. I don’t understand people these days! I am pregnant, I deserve to act insane sometimes!” She bellowed.

“Ma’am I am going to have to ask you to leave if you continue to be a pest. You are in a book store and need to be respectful to the people reading.” The owner politely told her while walking past me and winking. Please say he kicks her out. John was one of my best friends back in high school. We haven‘t talked in ages but I was still hoping he wouldn’t rat me out.

“John, I know you own this place and are fond of Blair but I swear you have three seconds to tell me where my best friend is before I chop off your family jewels!”

“Why are you always such an angry person all the time?!” He sighed.

“I am only angry because my wedding is in two weeks and my maid of honor refuses to find a dress. Do you know how infuriating that is?” She screamed, I could just picture her face turning red and steam flowing from her ears.