Chapter 9- Superman or Batman??

Her Secret Father

Chapter 9- Superman or Batman?

"Seth was my best friend." I let out an unsteady sigh not knowing whether I wanted to tell someone who was practically a stranger or not.

"You don't have to tell me." Brayden replied softly, grabbing my hand in his own.

"I know. It's just hard for me to bring up those memories. I really had no clue who he was for 8 years." I whispered the last part, talking more to myself than him.

Instead of replying like I thought he would, he gave my hand a reassuring squeeze and smiled at me. My heart stopped and picked back up at twice the speed as warmth ran up my arm, slowly spreading throughout my body making me feel warm and fuzzy.

"It's okay. You can tell me some other time. The only thing that is important right now is whether or not your okay." his voice was so sincere and full of concern as he once again squeezed my hand. I thought for sure he would have forced me to tell him.

"I'm fine, just a little beat up. It is not anything I can't take." I replied with a barely there smile making its way onto my lips. "I do have to call my brothers though."

 "Why did you say that like it is a bad thing? I thought you loved your brothers?"

 "I do love them, they are just super protective. They are going to kill me for not calling them while he was here." I grumbled before lifting myself off the couch to grab my phone from where it rested on the floor where Seth threw it.

"At least your safe." I heard him mumble. I let another smile take over my face before dialing Berkley's number hoping him and Bradley were still at dad's house.

 Berkley answered on the second ring with worry and concern lacing his voice. "Hey, Lulu, are you okay?"

 "Um..can you, dad, and Bradley come over?" I grumbled into the phone. I hated sounding weak.

 "What happened?!" Berkley immediately growled into the phone.

"Stop asking questions and just get your a*s over here!" I replied, not nearly as much venom in my voice as I had wanted.

 "No need to get mad, were on our way." he had only barely finished the sentence before I heard the jingle of keys and a truck starting before he hung up the phone.

"They are on their way." I sighed loudly, plopping back down on the couch next to Brayden.

"Should I leave?" although his voice held honest curiosity, his eyes said he didn't want to go.

 "Are you saying you don't want to meet my brothers and daddy, Loverboy?" I teased lightly.

 "I...uh I..I didn't know you wanted me to." I couldn't help but chuckle quietly at his flustered face as he stumbled over his words; it was adorable.

"I don't mind, but I'm warning you now that if you stay, you are going to get drilled with questions and glares."

 "I can handle it. Didn't you know I was Superman? No one can beat Superman." he had hastily puffed out his chest jokingly as if I wounded his manhood.

I scoffed loudly at the false statement. "Batman is so much better! How could you even think Superman was better than Batman?!?!"

"I don't just think it, I know it." he argued, his arms now crossed tightly over his chest making the muscles in his arms strain against the fabric of his plaid button up shirt.

 "That is the most absurd statement I have ever heard!" I yelled jumping off the couch and pointing an accusing finger at him.

 "It is not!" he had copied my stance but had his arms crossed still while I now had my hands cocked on my hips. We stayed like that for what seemed like an hour glaring at each other before I stubbornly broke the silence.