Chapter 14- Life Isn't Fair

Her Secret Father

Chapter 14- Life Isn't Fair

Blair's P.O.V.

I had never felt as useless as I did in that moment. I knew nothing I said would make Sammy feel any better and it was killing me. "Why don't you go visit Isaiah, Sammy? I have to finish work, but as soon as I'm done, I will go visit him too." I suggested to the broken teenager. I had never seen her so sad; brokenhearted. She loved her baby brother with her whole heart.

Sammy nodded her head swiftly, wiping any trace of tears from her now rosy cheeks. "Isaiah would love that, Blair." she nodded her head once more, gave me a quick fleeting hug, and was shuffling towards the elevator before I could process another thought.

Walking into my office, I wiped the traitor tears that had fallen down my face away. Crying twice in one day was never a good thing for me. If I cried twice, there was always a third that came sooner rather than later. Shaking my head, I attempted to rid myself of these somber thoughts, and grabbed my first patient of the day's medical folder; Olivia Reynolds.

I quickly made my way back into the waiting room to grab her, not wanting to keep her waiting any longer. "Olivia Reynolds?" I questioned, stepping through the doorway to the waiting room.

"Over here, Blair!" Livvy shouted from across the room, a huge grin painted on her face.

"You ready to begin, Sweetie?" I asked the sweet 13-year-old girl. She was a newer patient of mine, yet she had already captured small piece of my heart with her caring demeanor and innocent attitude. She was in an accident while riding her horse. A coyote had frightened her horse, Chesnutt, and the poor thing had reared up, forcing Livvy off of his back. Chesnutt had trampled over both of her legs in his haste to get away from the growling coyote, leaving an immobile Livvy to fend for herself. The coyote had left soon after Chesnutt did though, letting Livvy breathe out a sigh of relief. It was a very devastating story that left me close to tears every time she retold it, the emotion that her voice held striking close to home for anyone.

"I sure am, Blair!" she replied, as I began to wheel her into the therapy gym.

"How are your legs feeling today, Miss Olivia? I believe we can start with the..."

~~~~~~~~~After Blair Finishes Work~~~~~~~~~

Blair's P.O.V.

The closer my truck got to the hospital, the more memories bombarded my already depressed mind. I admit, I was terrified to see the little boy I had grown to love laying in that hospital bed, helpless. It reminded me too much of when she...No, I will not think about that, I told myself. There was nothing I could have done...Who am I kidding? There was a whole lot that I could've done to save her, yet I am the one sitting her alive. I shook my head sharply as I pulled into a parking spot at the hospital. I had to think happy thoughts, Isaiah wouldn't want me to be sad when I visit him. I quickly forced my rigid face to smile, before entering the children's hospital. I can do this, I repeated in mind, forcing myself to believe it.

"Hello, what room is Isaiah Moore in??" I asked the receptionist politely, trying to keep my smile on my lips as she smacked her gum obnoxiously.

"No one is allowed to see him except family, ma'am." she stated, not even looking up from the papers on her desk.

I rolled my eyes silently, quickly getting annoyed. "I'm his aunt. Even ask his parents."

"What is your name, miss?" she replied with slightly less attitude.

"Blair Donavan." I sighed wearily, getting more anxious with each minute that passed.

"He is in room 312." she grumbled, most likely irritated that I was right.