Chapter Thirteen

Louis rubbed my arm with his thumb while he stared into my eyes. I've never been so lose to someone before. I looked back in his perfect eyes that reminded me of the sparkling sea and fought the tears. He wiped away the tear that escaped and whispered "Don't cry, princess. You're hurting me". "I'm sorry. I just don't want this moment to end" I said. "Me too, princess, me too". I took his hand and let it rest against my lips. "Will you forget about me when I'm gone?" I whispered. He looked shocked and held my hand tighter. "Who on Earth said you were leaving?". I played with his fingers, examining every perfect crease. "You deserve it more. You do all the fighting. You saved me. I owe you" I whispered quietly. He held my chin and made me look at him, despite all the attempts of me doing the opposite. "I promised someone that I wouldn't let anything happen to you, and that's exactly what I'm doing. The only reason I'm alive is being that I need you alive. This person needs you and I ended up promising myself to protect you also. You're not giving up and neither am I" he said sternly yet lovingly. My eyes widened, even though I shouldn't be surprised. "When did he threaten you?". He signed and looked down, but looked back up when realizing he was staring at my chest. "After the reaping. He came in and pushed me against the wall. I could see he needed you. I have nothing left in my life so I agreed. But I fell in love with you for you Sydney and that's why I've been keeping my promise". I kissed him lightly and hugged him tight. How could he give up his life for me? He was amazing of course he had life ahead of him. He was gonna have a beautiful wife and amazing children on day, I knew it. That's why I was gonna give him my life if I needed to.

When Sage began to stir we finally got up and got dressed, me noticing Louis sneaking peaks at me. When Sage was fully awoken she looked around before at us. "How's the storm?" she asked, rubbing her eyes. We shrugged and Louis opened the door. "Guys, you could come see this" he called, not taking his eyes off of whatever was out there. Sage and I walked over and gasped at the sight. Not only was there no storm, but no snow either. The landscape was a luscious green that made my eyes hungry. Each tree was covered in leaves. There were beautiful flowers everywhere, begging for me to pick them. The air was filled with the beautiful singing of birds and various other creatures. "It's beautiful" I mumbled under my breathe. "Not as much as you" Louis whispered grabbing my hand.

We grabbed all our belongings and ventured out. We were walking, me holding both their hands, when we heard talking. I immediately pushed Sage into the nearest tree followed by Louis pushing me up. We carefully crawled right above them. It was the careers. "There's only us, District 12, and a little girl from 7 left. So this should be easy" a guy with curly brown hair said. "I hope so. Garrett, can you go get me something to eat, I'm hungry" a tall blonde said, making the curly-haired one known as Garrett walk away. "Macy, Lori, stay here. Nate and I are going to go do some hunting" a muscular guy around 18 said. He had short black hair and tan skin. If I wasn't with Louis, I'd say he was really hot. As they walked we backed up on the branch and looked at each other, knowing what we were all thinking. I waited until we couldn't hear their footsteps any longer to take out my bow. I inched forward on the branch and steadied myself. The girls were going on about how they missed television, making me roll my eyes. I pulled back my first arrow and aimed it at the blonde's temple. The string tickled my lip as I let it go. The annoyingly perfect blonde fell to the ground and the other girl's screams were muffled by a boom. I quickly reloaded and made her lay next to her little friend, causing the cannon to go off again.

I heard rustling and quickly retreated into the tree where Louis took me in his arms and covered both our mouth's. "What the hell happened!" Nate yelled at Garett who just arrived with a loaf of bread. "I don't know! I just came back and they were dead!". The muscular one looked around. His eyes settled on the tree and made his gaze continued up. When he looked in our direction Louis' hand became tighter around my mouth, knowing I was slightly whimpering. He looked away, causing me to temporarily relax. "They couldn't have gone far..." he said, looking around quickly one last time, thankfully missing us.

When they fell asleep at their campsite, we set up our tent that was thankfully hidden by the leaves right above them. "We can easily pick them off now. You only have two arrows left, so make them count. We have to make a plan to get them out, and I think I have one" Louis said. We listened to him and as we listened, I thought it was actually really good. But how wrong I was, how terribly wrong it'd be.