Twelve

Emerald had been moved into the pack house two days later. And, honestly even though she was still fearful of the pack she was with, this bed was so much better than the bed from the medical building. Slowly, she'd been healing and could move around better but Kathy had pestered her to take it easy. Emerald didn't like feeling trapped, she'd been running where she wanted for years and now she was stuck.

Emerald looked around the room she'd been placed in and felt that hollow part in her ache. She missed her father, her pack and her best friend. She'd thought about it- the day her pack was slaughtered, her best friend being killed in front of her and her father. What did she do? Nothing! She'd run away, and continued running her entire life. She was tired of feeling afraid, tired of being the small girl she felt like. She needed to toughen up, but how? How do you feel afraid for almost your whole life to suddenly being brave?

Emerald jerked her head toward the door as it opened and felt the familiar fear rising when she seen the Alpha. He walked slowly into the room, but even though he moved non-threatening Emerald felt the large room becoming smaller.

"Hello." Dash began, hoping his voice came out as soft as he intended. "I just came to see if you were feeling alright?"

Emerald nodded, "I'm feeling fine, Alpha."

Dash sat down in the chair he knew his mother sat in daily. "I- you can call me Dash. I just-" Dash cleared his through finding this to be more difficult than he anticipated. He had gone over in his head what he would say to her, but now that he sat with her he feared he would fuck this up. "I wanted to apologize. I know that even just saying it doesn't change anything, it doesn't help what neither Lucas nor I did. I have no excuses. But, I assure you that your safe. I nor anyone else in this pack will hurt you again."

Emerald turned away, clenching and unclenching the sheet in her hands. This overwhelming feeling of wanting to run her fingers through his thick black hair shot through her over and over. Every time she seen him, she had these confusing feelings. "Why now? None of you seemed to mind before. What changed?" Emerald whispered.

Dash shifted in his chair, confused. Couldn't she tell that they are mates? "You-" Dash shut his mouth when he heard the door knob turn. Not surprised when his mothers scent filled his nose.

"Oh. Dash, your here." Kathy said happily. She turned and looked at Emerald who's face was a soft red and Kathy would swear she was blushing. "What were you talking about?" Kathy asked, curious.

Dash stood, suddenly feeling like his mother would interrogate him at any second. "I was simply trying to apologize... again." Dash muttered, moving toward the door.

"Leaving so soon?" Kathy teased, watching her son disappear out the door. She laughed, then turned to Emerald who watched her with wide eyes. "I told you he was a big teddy bear. You'll get used to him in time."

Emerald couldn't help it, she laughed. Alpha seemed as if he was running away from his small mother and the sight was too funny. After a moment Emerald went quiet and seen Kathy had been watching her with the a affectionate smile.

"I'm going to be straight with you Emerald. Do you know what mates are?"

Emeralds eyes widened at Kathy's serious tone. Mates? The word held a familiarity to it, yet Emerald couldn't remember why or who she'd heard it from. "No. I don't know. I have a feeling that I've heard it before but I can't remember.."

Kathy smiled and nodded. "Well maybe it was your mother?" Kathy prodded. Since Emerald woke she has been trying to get information on her past, how she became rouge but Emerald proved to be stubborn.

Emerald shifted her eyes down to her hands, "no my mother died while giving birth to me." Emerald didn't feel the need to cry like she used to when she thought of her mother but she did feel that loss deep down. Emerald slowly lifted her gaze when her hands were covered by Kathy's.

"I'm so sorry child." Emerald shook her head. Kathy sighed sadly, but straightened. "Allow me to explain what mates are."

Emerald had this weird, almost creepy feeling when she watch Kathy suddenly smile slowly. "O-okay.."

*
*
*

So here's the update. Sorry it took so long. Hope you all like it, and also if you see any mistakes don't feel like I won't be grateful for them being pointed out!