Twenty-Seven

Emerald rubbed her eyes slowly, smiling at the memories of last night. Dash had surprised her, and really surprised her. She never expected such a big man, to be such a softy inside. Gingerly she opened her eyes, squinting against the sun's bright rays that traveled into her room. Emerald sat up slowly, but stopped half way when she felt something weighing down on her hip. Cautiously, she pulled the cover away and seen a large, muscular arm draped across her. Stiffening, she turned slowly and seen Dash sleeping peacefully beside her. She racked her brain quickly, trying to remember what had happened last night, and what could help her explain why Dash was in her bed.

Slowly, her brain began to work once again and she sighed. She remembered the surprise that Dash had for her, and she now remembered, barely, that she had wanted Dash to stay. She couldn't explain why she had that sudden urge to have him close, and she wondered if it was due to the mating mark? She looked over Dash's face slowly, smiling to herself. He was like a sleeping teddy bear. He looked much younger in sleep, than he did awake. His long dark, eye lashes laid across his cheek, his lips were parted ever so slightly. Emerald had this intense urge to kiss him. Startled by her creepy thoughts, she slowly got out of bed, holding his arm up as she rolled away and then put it back down slowly.

Emerald quickly dressed and left the room in search of Kathy. Kathy had almost all the answers, and Emerald desperately needed some. Ignoring the aroma from the kitchen that made her stomach growl, she went to the den area, sighing in relief when she spotted Kathy amongst the other's. "Kathy, can I speak to you, please?" Emerald asked, smiling at the children who sat around the floor playing with toys.

Kathy stood, and Emerald moved to a empty corner. "What's wrong dear?" Kathy asked, concerned.

Emerald shook her head, "nothing bad. I just- um. I wanted to ask more about mates, and how it effects someone. How do you feel after you get the mating mark?" Emerald asked, desperately.

Kathy watched the girl, who originally had been hurt, and frightened beyond belief stand in front of her not scared that someone was going to hurt her, but worried about her attractions to her mate. It was funny, honestly, but it was a relief. "Well, they'll both feel more drawn to each other. They'll want to be around each other as much as possible, even all the time. They will also feel stronger- eh, desires for each other. But, every person is different. I know when I had Dash's father, I couldn't leave him alone. Not for a minute without wanting him next to me again. I believe the women have more of a sensitive emotion when it comes to mates. The male mate is the protector so they have to be able to control themselves, but us females- well we're just an emotional lot." Kathy laughed, patting Emeralds arm. "Honey, feeling attracted to my son, wanting to be near him or touch him is normal. You don't have too, but" Kathy paused, and looked happily at her soon to be daughter-in-law. "Fighting the mating bond is futile. He will love you, protect you, cherish you to the best of his abilities. He will be faithful, loyal and compassionate to you. Dash will make sure that no matter what your happy, and soon, if they already haven't you'll feel the same for him."

Emerald listened awed by Kathy's passion about the subject, and felt herself agreeing. She did care for Dash, like she never thought she would, literally. She wanted him happy, she always got a giddy feeling when she said, or did something to put a smile on his face. And, over all, she wanted to be worthy of his attentions. And, from what Kathy said, she was. She just needed to accept and go with the flow when it came to the mating bond. It was just -- embarrassing for her.

"Thank you Kathy. You've been such a great help to me since I've been here. I know I have met been the easiest to deal with." Emerald was cut off when Kathy suddenly hugged her.

"No, you haven't been difficult. You are someone who went through something they shouldn't have. Life has dealt you a bad hand, but has brought you to us. Though I wish I could take the pain away I'm happy that your with us now. We are your family."

Emerald breathed deeply trying to keep her emotions under control, but damn it if the water works didn't start. Just then Emerald, along with the whole house heard Dash yelling her name. Kathy pulled away slowly, and wiped the stray tears away just as Dash came into view.

"What's wrong Em? Are you okay? Are you hurt?" Dash asked, one after the other. After having such a great night and sleep he had hoped to wake up to his mates face only to wake to an empty bed. He never expected to find her in tears. Dash watched as his mate shook her head, and smiled at him,like really smiled. Her smile lit up the room. Making his heart stop in the process.

"I'm happy. They're happy tears." Emerald assured.

Kathy smacked her son's arm playfully while passing, "yeah son, you should know by now that us females are emotional creatures." Kathy looks over her shoulder, winkig at a blushing Emerald before returning to the children.