Rekindle

(3rd pov) 

Rain poured heavily down on Konoha. People quickly ran to shelter. But standing in front of the memorial stone was two people in no hurry to cover themselves from the falling crystals. 

Himeko stood closest to the stone. One arm was holding tightly onto the crutch underneath it while her other hand was placed on the stone. Right near her sister's name. Itachi stood there speechlessly. Hands clenched tightly, head tilted downward, bangs covering clenched teeth.

He stood there, trying to process everything. 

"Me or Family. That's the choice my sister was faced with and it's no different to the choice that I have to face. Family or Village."Himeko said, ending her story. 

"So you see Itachi....I know exactly what you're going through." Himeko muttered quietly. If Itachi didn't strain his ears he may not been able to hear. She turned her head over her shoulder to look at him. "More then you probably understand yourself." 

The two stood there completely silent. Himeko diverted her eyes to the side. They reflected sadness and remorse in them. 

"I'm sorry for pushing you too far." 

Itachi slightly jolted after hearing her sudden apology. He raised his head a bit, but still kept it down.

"I kept telling myself that if I let you figure things out yourself while just giving you a few pushes, you'd finally understand. I guess.....I was just scared that if I didn't make you understand..then it'd be like I was killing my sister all over again. I thought that if I failed in saving you then I failed in saving her.."

"...Why..."

Himeko turned back to Itachi after hearing him speak. 

"Why are you apologizing..." When he looked up, Himeko couldn't believe it. Even in the rain she could see it quite clearly. Streaming down Itachi's cheeks were his tears. Tears meant for her. 

"Why are you apologizing when all this time you were suffering because of me! Promising to sacrifice your life for mine, becoming an enemy of the clan for my sake...why!"

"How do you-"

"I heard you and my father talking. Why would you keep it a secret from me for so long...and then apologize?"