Chapter 2

I really should reconsider who I hang out with. I know this night will not end well. When I'm with Stiles and Scott, we always end up in trouble, it's inevitable. Stiles always gets these crazy ideas and we always join him on the adventures.

The fact that Stiles dad is the sheriff of this town really doesn't help our case at all. Stiles likes to listen in on his dad's calls which is normally how everything starts. Some people would think that Scott and I would stop hanging out with Stiles, but he's our best friend. We have known each other since we were kids.

Scott got the lucky privilege to sit up front while I'm stuck in the backseat like always. Stiles drives to the Beacon Hills Preserve in his Jeep that he treats like it's his baby. He has never let me drive it once even if I do have my license. Stiles parks off to the side, fumbling around for a flashlight before all of us climb out. Scott helps me climb out of the passenger side.

I dig my hands in my jacket's pocket as we make our down a hiking path. Scott ends up slowing down behind us and I slow my pace down for him to catch up. I don't like the thought of being alone in the woods without Scott nearby. The crime rate in Beacon Hills is very low, but who knows what kind of animals live in here. Scott has a better chance of fighting off an animal then I do.

"Are we seriously doing this?" Scott huffs as we start to catch up with Stiles.

"You're the one always bitching that nothing ever happens in this town." Stiles retorts. "Besides, it's our last night of summer freedom."

"I was trying to get a good night's sleep for practice tomorrow." Scott groans, obviously noticing that none of us are going to get a good night's sleep tonight.

"Right, because sitting on the bench is such a gruelling effort." Stiles scoffs at the thought.

I automatically swing out with the back of my hand, hitting him in the arm. "You do the same thing!" I defend my brother, slightly annoyed.

"No, because I'm playing this year." Scott says. "In fact, I'm going to make starting lineup."

I grin at my brother, proud that he is so determined to get on starting lineup this year. Scott and Stiles normally just sit on the bench and watch the rest of the team play lacrosse on the field. All summer, Scott has been telling me about how much he wants to get off the bench this year.

"That's the spirit, Scotty Boy!" Stiles replies, sarcasm dripping in his voice. "Everyone should have a dream, even a pathetically, unrealistic one."

"At least he is being optimistic." I remind him, walking faster ahead of them. I don't wander too far away from them, not knowing what could be out here.

"Just out of curiosity, which half of the body are we looking for?" Scott speaks up from behind me.

"Huh. I didn't think about that." Stiles answers and goosebumps rise up on my arms, a mix of the cold and fear washing over my body.

"And, what if whoever killed the girl is still out here?" I stop walking, instantly becoming paranoid with the fact that someone could be watching us this very second.

"Also, something I didn't think about." Stiles admits, shooting us a sheepish smile. Why is it that Stiles never thinks about all of the details to a situation like this?

My face pales and I feel a hand grab mine, comfortingly. I look up from the leaves on the ground to see Stiles, watching me with a concerned expression. I smile at him, wearily. Scott marches by with a smirk cast upon his face, not bothered at all by the fact his best friend and sister are holding hands.

"Comforting to know that you planned this with your usual attention to detail." Scott says when we start to climb up a hill.

"I know." Stiles breathes.