Chapter 9

Scott and I still aren't completely on talking terms yet. I'm still mad at him for almost punching me last week. I just can't get over the fact that he did that. He locked himself in his room all weekend which made it pretty easy to avoid him.

My eyes drift shut once again as I listen to my English teacher write some notes on the board for us to copy. The last period of the day and I can barely keep my eyes open. This is the only teacher I have this year that actually has us sitting in groups of four. On the first day, we were allowed to pick who we wanted to sit by and I picked Allison, Isaac Lahey, and Danny Mahealani.

The sound of a pen hitting my desk jolts me awake. I spaz out and calm down when I see my friends, snickering at me. I narrow my eyes at Danny across from me. From the innocent smirk on his face, I can tell that he is the one that threw the pen at me. I throw the pen back at him, laughing.

"Rough night?" Danny wiggles his eyebrows at me.

"I was up all night doing all of my chemistry homework." I yawn, slouching down in my desk. "I swear Harris hates me." I say, referring to my teacher.

"Harris hates everyone." Isaac bumps his elbow into my side. I always thought Scott had really curly hair, but Isaac's blonde curls come in a very close second.

"Allison, please tell me you are copying down all of these notes." I rest my head against Isaac's arm when he slides down in his seat. "I just can't concentrate today."

Allison looks up momentarily from her notebook. "Yeah, I've got all of it." She smiles at me, her eyes darting to Isaac. "You can copy it all at lacrosse practice."

"You're the best." I reply, sleepily.

"You really should go to bed earlier." Isaac comments, not moving from his spot, where I am leaning against him.

"Do you want to do my homework then?" I struggle to keep my eyes open for the last ten minutes of class. High school students deserve nap time way more than little kids.

"I could help you with it. I'm pretty good at chemistry." Isaac offers.

Allison watches the two of us through her eyelashes with a curious smile on her lips. She jots down the notes from the board. I give her a confused look before realizing I didn't answer Isaac. This lack of sleep is really getting to me.

"Do you want to help me tonight?" I slide my binder closer to me. "Harris loaded us with homework tonight. Something to do with math and that is my least favourite subject."

"Sure. What time do you want me to come over?" Isaac taps his pencil on the desk.

"An hour after lacrosse practice?" I suggest and Allison smirks at me.

"Sounds good." Isaac grins down at me.

Students around us begin to stuff their belongings into their backpacks as the last few minutes of school edge closer. All of us gather our papers from this close ready for the day to be over. The school bell rings loudly and everyone jumps from desks.

I grab ahold of Isaac's arm. "No, don't move. You are really comfortable." I whine.

Isaac chuckles. "Are you going to be at practice?"

Danny waves at all of us before heading out of the door.

"Aren't I always?" I remove my head from his arm, running my fingers through the area that is all messy now.

Isaac stands up, smiling. "Well, if I end up on the bench, you can lean up against me."

"I'll hold you to that, Lahey." I call him by his last name and bring myself to my feet. Isaac strolls out of the classroom, leaving Allison and I alone besides the teacher.