Chapter 15

A loud grunt wakes me up from my sleep. An odd swaying motion and arms curled underneath me make me realize that someone is carrying me. I'm not sure why I'm being carried. The familiar cologne drifts to my nose and I instantly relax when I realise Scott is the one carrying me. I flutter my eyes open, recognising our front door that Scott is having a hard time unlocking.

"Scotty, let me down." I speak with a groggy voice.

Scott glances down at me. "Isaac said he would see you on Monday."

Oh gosh, Isaac! I must have fallen asleep on him at the bowling alley. I didn't think I was that tired. Scott tries again to balance me in his arms and unlock the front door at the same time.

"Scotty, seriously, let me down." I wrap one arm around his neck to maintain balance once he sets me down on my feet.

Scott drops my legs and I use the grip around his neck to stable myself. He easily unlocks the front door in one swift motion, letting me step in the quiet house first. Mom must already be asleep which is good because she won't know we were out past curfew, not that Scott and I care. The town's curfew is the least of our worries.

Mom screams from upstairs and we bolt for the stairs, Scott reaching mom first. I swing around the corner only to come across Mom holding a bar in her hands while Stiles freaks out on Scott's bed, the window pushed open.

"Stiles, what the hell are you doing here?" Scott and I stand near the door way.

"What am I doing?" Stiles stands up, fixing his clothes. "God, do any of you even play baseball?"

"Can you please tell your friend to use the front door?" Mom asks us, lowering her bat.

"But, we lock the front door." Scott replies.

"He wouldn't be able to get in." I ignore Stiles staring at me. Why do I suddenly feel very guilty for going out with Isaac tonight?

"Yeah, exactly. And, by the way, do any of you care that there's a police enforced curfew?" Mom demands, knowing full well that we were all out tonight instead of being home.

"No." The three of us state in unison.

"No." Mom sighs, tiredly. "Alright then. Well, you know what? That's enough parenting for me for one night, so good night." She trudges down the hallway to her room.

"What are you doing here?" Scott waits until mom is far enough away.

I walk into Scott's room, plopping down on his bed. Stiles glances at me with a pained expression. Why does he keep looking at me like that lately? I can't handle it. I feel like I'm disappointing him somehow.

"My dad left for the hospital fifteen minutes ago. It's the bus driver. They said he succumbed to his wounds." Stiles speaks in a sad tone.

"Succumbed?" Scott frowns.

"He's dead, Scott."

I've been laying in bed for the past four hours just staring up at my ceiling fan. I don't know if it's from sleeping earlier or the guilt eating away at me, but I can't seem to fall asleep for anything. Stiles is going to be so much harder to get over then I thought.

After Stiles left, Scott and I dispersed to our own rooms. I took a shower, changed into my pajamas, and have tried everything possible to make myself fall asleep. Nothing as worked so far. I even tried to count sheep and count backwards.

I push the thick blankets off of my body, swinging my legs off the bed. My bare feet greet the carpeted floor as I trudge out of my bedroom through the darkness barely managing not to stumble into the wall or my furniture. The light from the fridge nearly blinds me when I pull the door open. My eyes squint together while I aimlessly grab for something to eat.