Chapter 1: Cold Blood

"No, wait," the man with oil slick black hair begged.

The red in his black eyes pounded with fear as the rain trickled from his face, making it seem as though he was crying.

The man in the white trench coat didn't seem to hear him though. He simply approached, looming over the other man like a tall mountain.

High atop a the tall building was a boy. Though thunder and lighting were clashing overhead, he silently watched the scene unfold before him like a bored cat undisturbed by the rain falling atop his head and wetting his thick blonde hair.

Hugging himself to keep warm, he eyed the suitcase the taller, much bulkier man was clutching.

'Anytime now.' Rin thought, his dark brown eyes carefully shifting towards the frightened man cowering backwards like an injured little bird. 'You're finally gonna die, Mamoru.'

The black haired man cowering under the shadow of the ghoul killer was in a tight situation. The boy sighed, suddenly annoyed.

If only Mamoru thought about a better spot to run into. Rin had been watching him for some time now and he was pretty slow so there was no way he could jump over the fence he had now backed himself into.

Other than that, he was loathsomely weak-An effect of not eating human flesh for days.

The boy had helped Mamoru once, assisting him in a hunt for food when he was too frightened to walk around by himself. Rin already knew what type of person Mamoru was. The one who would look so sweet and innocent at first then stab you in the back. That was quite literal in Rin's case however.

The edge of the boy's mouth twitched in annoyance as his cool palm touched one end of the long scar on the left side of his back.

Mamoru was aiming for his lungs at that time. Unfortunately for him, Rin was one of the lucky few ghouls who had excellent and amazingly quick healing abilities.

'We could've been friends.' He thought as he continued to listen to Mamoru's squeaky whimpers, begging the Dove to spare his life.

Right before he could say more, Mamoru had frozen, his eyes wide with shock and his face pale in the darkness of the narrow alley. A moment later, the smell of blood burst into Rin's nostrils. He watched, glad as Mamoru's head slowly slipped off his neck, falling to the wet floor with a loud and mushy PLOP!

Taking a breath and sighing, Ishikawa Rin stood, straightening his back all the while keeping an eye on the Dove - the ghoul investigator still standing before the corpse.
The man didn't have any striking features. Just that he had short black hair and was nothing but a tall, walking bag full of muscle.

Rin scoffed at the man who was obviously unafraid of his presence.

A familiar heat welled up in the boy's chest before his dark brown eyes slowly turned black, the red in his eyes gleaming and pulsing with blood lust in the haze of the night rain.

"What are you waiting for?" the man asked, his loud and husky voice bouncing off the high walls of the alley.

Rin felt the smirk growing on his face, the menacing grin plastered over his cool façade in a flash.

With a light push of his feet, Rin jumped off the roof of the building, gracefully and soundlessly landing right behind the tall human who smelled a tad too sweaty even under the already heavy rain.

Rin rolled his eyes.

"Didn't I tell you to stop wearing that coat when we're together?"

A loud whooshing sound zipped though the air and a flash of bright, crackling red sailed across Rin's face, stopping right between his eyes.

Rin raised a thick brow at Doujima, still amazed at how easily the human was holding up the gigantic stick of a quinque.

"This is the last time I help you...Ishikawa. Now, eat." Koutarou Amon said, his thin brows curved strangely at then ends knit together with a strange determination Rin had grown to accept after the week they've been together.

The boy carefully moved away from the steaming quinque, sidestepping the ghoul investigator and walking to the corpse.

"That's what you said two days ago." Rin said, unable to keep the smirk rising on his face as he wrapped his long fingered hands on Mamoru's moderately muscular arm. In a flash, he twisted it off, the thick redness gushing out the corpse and smelling too much like rancid fish oil.

Amon Koutarou was quiet behind the ghoul and Rin could feel him watching as he devoured the disgusting meat, quickly chewing and instantly swallowing right after.

"Two days ago the promise of keeping you alive was still valid." Amon loudly said, his footsteps loudly approaching Rin from behind.

"That promise is now fulfilled. Don't bother me ever again, ghoul or I will kill you."