Chapter 18: A Little Fight

As of now, Rin was being trained by a very disagreeable human who didn't care that the boy was more exhausted than an obese person trying to run a two mile hike up a flight of stairs.

Thinking about it now, Rin started to feel regret for his rash decisions. True, he took his time to think about his decision of becoming a Dove but since he was suffering right now, barely getting any meat inside his body and only coping with endless bottles of cold water to numb the relentless growling in his stomach, he had to question his life decisions.

'I didn't sign up for this.'

Grunting, Rin quickly ducked from Doujima, narrowly avoiding its tree-trunk thickness glimmering a bloodthirsty red that sailed just mere inches from the top of his sweat-slicked hair.

"Can we stop?" Rin gasped before instantly straightening his legs to fuel a perfect jump backwards, saving his stomach from internal bleeding, "We've been at it for hours, you damn-"

The sound of air zipped past his ears before Doujima stopped mere inches between his eyes, blood red crackling and pulsing through the vein-like design on its surface. Looking farther behind it, Rin cast a hard glare at Amon, panting and hearing himself wheezing as his arms and legs shook like leaves in the mercy of an east gale.

"We can still keep going." Amon said, ignoring the seat trickling down his neck and over the visible pulse repeatedly beating over taut skin. Rin had to maintain eye contact just so he wouldn't jump the human and finally let go of his inhibitions just for the sake of saving his stomach.

"You can keep going. I can't. It's not my fault you're inhuman." Rin growled back, only noticing the way his stomach growled like an angry mutt. "And that's not the point, teacher." Rin hissed out the last word, hating the fact that he was stuck with the muscle mass as his trainer. Had he no escape from this bastard?

"How the hell am I gonna learn anything if I can't even breathe?"

Amon scoffed at that, still pointing his quinque at Rin's face. Rin was practically grinding his teeth into nubs just to keep his kagune from bursting out. Well, it wasn't like that could happen any time soon. He was too weak to even use his kagune.

"It's not my fault you can't keep up the pace." Amon said with an arrogant huff, "For someone who's annoyingly proud, you don't have much stamina."

"Shut up." Rin growled back, a little fiercer this time while glaring at the muscle mass who simply smirked back. Rin wanted to cut his head then and there but for the first time in his life, his energy wasn't even bouncing against 0. He was completely spent.

Even his anger wasn't enough to fuel the blood in his shaky muscles. Within the two weeks of sparring, Amon successfully teased, taunted, and annoyed Rin.

Shockingly enough, the boy didn't kill Amon. He was too tired to, after all. Now, he simply resorted to verbal assault, snapping back at Amon now and again and almost starting an actual fight three days ago after he repeatedly accused the Dove of actually using steroids to impress everyone.

Granted he shouldn't be treating his teacher like this, but Rin never liked teachers or people who told him what to do. Even his parents knew that their child thrived learning in the silence of his own mind.

Truly though, it was strange that Amon was his assigned trainer. From the minimum information Rin had about the CCG and its academy, trainees and new recruits like Rin should have a special trainer-one who wasn't busy with missions and assignments out in the 20th ward.

Rin understood that sentiment. Amon had no idea how to teach. All he was doing was sparring with Rin and pushing the boy to keep fighting, telling him to "refuse" the ache in his bones. It was a strangely stupid way to motivate Rin. And it didn't really motivate him to fight harder, it just hardened the resolve to somehow kill Amon someday.