Chapter 15: Into The Cat's Claws

Today was a lovely day. The birds were chirping, the sky was a clear, light blue and the sun wasn't striking Rin's dark head as hard and as hotly as he expected a morning sun to.

The only problem was the air stale with the scent of rotting ghoul's blood.

Just a few feet away, the CCG was beaming under the sun again-a beacon of death to ghouls and now, a beacon of a new and exciting (?) day for Rin. The boy tried not to grimace as he carefully approached the building he would be working in until he found Jin's profile, the wind coming in as a wave of ghoul disgustingness that almost knocked Rin off of his feet.

Cheetah has killed more than a dozen of ghouls in his existence, so one would think he should be so used to the smell by now, but the only thing he wasn't resistant against was the horrendously sour taste of ghoul flesh. Once the smell came in like a tidal wave, it was almost impossible to not vomit from the scent of rotting meat.

He gritted his teeth, his knuckles brushing the bottom of his nostrils in an attempt to clear out the smell he'd be greeted with everyday starting from now on.

'Loser.' He bitterly thought, his brows twitching as he held down the urge to glare at the CCG's building, 'This is nothing.'

'All for Jin.'

With his brother's name ringing in his head once again, Rin felt a light warmth press gently against his back, as if pushing positive energy into his bodice in an attempt to cheer him on. The fact that he started thinking that Jin was actually watching over him almost made him laugh.

If Jin truly was watching over, Rin's face would probably be stuck to the ground now, held down by the tip of Jin's boot. Despite the fact that Jin was a very secretive man who barely truly showed affection for his little brother, he was still quite protective.

After all the shenanigans Rin has gone through for the past few days, he'd surely be punished by Jin's heavenly wrath if he was ever watching his little brother walk into the headquarters of ghoul killers.

Looking around, Rin noticed more of the investigators coming in, most of the completely passing by him and heading into the building with paperwork practically pressed into the faces stamped with exhaustion.

Some gave him slight glances before they pushed through the front doors though. One of them even shoved hard against Rin's shoulder then glared before muttering a very rude insult under his breath.

It was quite understandable. Rin was standing right in front of the entrance anyway, staring into the lobby.

Realizing just how much of a nuisance he was, the boy cleared his throat, feeling slightly embarrassed as he took a wide step back.

The slight and small bump-like rise on the floor shocked Rin for a start, making him gasp and almost slip unto his butt before a large hand grasped his forearm. Whipping his eyes to the person who saved him from an embarrassing loss of dignity, Rin almost laughed.

A tall human stood behind him, his head blocking the morning sun and shielding Rin's eyes. Two onyx eyes stared at him with clear annoyance and a hint of confusion.

"What are you doing, blocking the way, Erin?" Amon asked, knitting his brows together as he frowned disapprovingly at the young man staring at him with wide eyes.

Of course, he'd instantly run into the muscle mass. It was exactly 7 a.m. after all and Rin was well aware that the tall human wasn't really a fan of being late. Though he was on time, Rin grinned.

"What took you so long? After calling me to work with you, this is how you treat me?" he asked, pulling himself up and fully turning to the investigator who was currently looking Rin up and down. "Never thought you'd be this slow," Rin continued to tease, "I got here 10 minutes ago."