Chapter 16: Trust Issues?

It's been a few hours since Aki had left Rin to have fun with the paperwork and so far, the boy was starting to feel ready to throw himself out the window.

Though he was able to easily fix the papers Aki gave into the correct order they had to be in, Rin was given another batch of ghoul names to fix up literally seconds after he had finished the first batch.

Now, the boy was once again stuck in the middle of a circle of paperwork. Still seated on the floor with his legs crossed underneath himself, Rin was now vacantly staring at each mask, trying to find a ghoul whose name started with a letter Y.

'Good god, help me.'

All of this work should've been great for Rin. Literally being handed information didn't really happen so often. Most of the times, he either had to run through hoops, fool other ghouls or even kill them just to get what he needed. Now, being handed the names of the ghouls he had fought with and ones he had never even laid eyes upon was still too amusing for him to fully grasp and also quite annoying.

Over at the other cubicle, the sound of a human snickering to himself made Rin look up from under his lashes in annoyance. Listening closer, Rin realized the man was probably watching some kind of video in the internet.

Feeling as if time was taunting him like a spoiled child bent on showing off his favorite toy, Rin rolled his eyes hard, flapping the paper in his hands into straightness before attempting to refocus his mind to the work at hand.

Going through the mental list of ghouls Rin had met in his lifetime, Rin heard a knock on the hollow cubicle wall. Eyes going up, Rin saw Amon standing in the middle of the cubicle's doorway.

Amon nodded, pulling his head backwards in a motion that beckoned Rin to stand up from his work. "You need to come with me for a while."

But Rin stayed put and simply flexed for a bit, slightly turning his upper body to let Amon get a better look of the way Rin's eyes narrowed in tired suspicion. Certainly, the human wasn't suspicious of Rin's humanity again. The boy was positive he was able to get rid of that doubt quite well but at the moment, he really didn't want to start a fight with Amon here. The room was painfully too small to properly unleash his kagune if he ever had to.

"I'm a little preoccupied right now so-"

"It's about your quinque." Amon said, highlighting the last word with a tilt of his head and a smirk on his lips. Rin narrowed his eyes at the look. Right then, a tinge went up his spine. And not in a good way. He was about to gain his own ghoul-killer. Simply put, he'd be holding another ghoul's compressed corpse in his hands. In a way, he should give the humans a bit of credit. Killing enemy ghouls with their fellow species was rather inhumane, disgusting, and deranged but at the back of his head, Rin thought it had a bit of tragic poetry to it.

"Don't do that," Rin quickly said as he sprang up from his seat, a grimace on his face as he moved towards Amon, "you look really creepy."

The investigator instantly lost his smile. Clearing his throat, Amon stubbornly whipped his head away and straightened his back, turning to the side and heading towards the door. Without looking back at Rin who was busy arranging his work and hoping that no one would touch the papers,

"Are you coming or what?" Amon called back, opening the door and going through, not even bothering to wait for Rin.

Clicking his tongue in annoyance, Rin jumped over his papers and stomped towards the door, growling to himself and muttering about how impatient the man was.

---

"A quinque?" Rin asked as they walked through the narrow hallway with Rin narrowly avoiding a boy with wild blonde hair just barely tamed by a red cap, "I just started, didn't I?"