Chapter 14: Out of the Nest

Rin pushed through the mechanical doors, eyes staring down at the ground before he noticed that it was already night time, the surrounding light as dark as his looming shadow. Looking up, the moon was full and clear, a beacon of cold and ice that seemed to glow brightly over the clear mist that rolled out of Rin's slightly parted mouth.

The human he talked to was quite annoying. But even with a seemingly arrogant personality that didn't seem to waver even against the annoyed glares of the older Doves, Aki was able to do his job of talking to a "new recruit" quite well.

'It'll only take some paperwork.' Aki had said, 'But after that, you'll surely be taken in. After all, it was Amon who vouched for you, and First Class Mado never said a word against it.'

Rin carefully turned back to the building, noting the sudden brightness of the lobby and the strangely comforting aura it gave off to anyone outside. If possible, most people would probably think it was a hotel rather than a nest for killers.

'A nest for killers.' His head repeated.

At that thought, Rin blinked then quickly scoffed, an amused lopsided smirk on his face as he ran a hand through the cusp of hair at the back of his head. He was confident he could get through those doors without a problem, but seeing that it just happened simply made him feel a bit of a hazy aftershock.

He looked back up at the building, his eyes gleaming silver like the moon. Just a few more steps and he can finally start moving. Progress for the mystery that was his brother's death.

Rin sighed heavily, rubbing the back of his head once again, thinking that doing so would comfort his flighty heart.

"You actually went and did it, huh?"

Rin turned his head, eyes bright with alarm that resonated through his skin at the sight of Itori standing right before him. Not wearing her usual black dress, she protected herself from the cold with a navy blue coat and black leggings. The ominous and mischievous smile was still on her face, of course and it was all Rin needed to see to start thinking she was planning something.

Instinctively, Rin looked haphazardly over her shoulder and tried to get rid of the heavy itching at the back of his neck. Seeing the doors of CCG, Rin felt himself freeze up.

As if understanding something he should have understood a long time ago, Rin felt the cold lick of the wind on his back. For once, turning his back on another person made him feel an unfamiliar fright. Carefully, he turned his head back to the red haired woman, seeing the ominous smirk on her face. She didn't seem harmful at all.

What with her pretty eyes and the perked up brow over those long lashes. Rin already knew though. Thinking badly of her was exactly what he should do.

Not just any ghoul would come up to the CCG so fearlessly.

Seeing the way she was acting, Rin made sure to keep his eye open for any funny business she was planning.

"What are you doing?" he quietly asked, gazing at her with dark eyes as he carefully approached.

Itori blinked at him, suddenly looking very confused. "What're you talkin' about?" she asked, looking up at Rin as he loomed over her. He narrowed his eyes at her, stopping himself from glaring at the woman. He had to remember, it certainly wouldn't be wise to stir up trouble right at the doors of CCG.

Huffing, Rin started to walk away from her. At the back of his head, he hoped she would follow him and not go into the building. Was she here to go to the CCG to rat him out for whatever reason? Or was she here to simply talk to him? He wasn't taking a chance on the former.