Chapter Five: The Marauders

"Luca Polkins, Hufflepuff!" the Sorting Hat bellows through its wide mouth. I can remember the first time I saw that hat, I nearly fainted.

Professor McGonagall takes the hat as the First Year runs to their table. Dumbledore gets to his feet to make his welcome speech.

Suddenly, there's a boom. Sparks start flying into the air and the enchanted ceiling of the Great Hall turns into a violent storm with lightning bolts shooting down. Most of the lightning seems to be directed towards the Slytherin table. Of course, I should have known: it's the Marauders. I should be used to this. They've played a prank on the whole Great Hall since Halloween of our first year here.

Rain starts pouring down on us. It's not little raindrops. It's sheets of heavy raindrops. CRASH! I nearly jump out of my seat in surprise. The whole Hall goes dark for a moment. I can hear heavy breathing and panicked whispers spread through the Hall. The lights flicker back on and I grin. The Slytherins seem to have some new unfortunate clothing. Pink robes, orange hats, and oddly enough fuchsia hair. I can hear quite a few Slytherins screaming, "Relashio." But this is a Marauders' prank; it won't go away that easily.

"I suppose we ought to turn them right." Potter says quietly from behind me. I turn to see him standing with Remus, Peter, and Sirius.

"Fine, just not Reg." Sirius says firmly.

"Alright, that sounds reasonable." Remus agrees.

They point their wands towards the Slytherin table and begin muttering several different spells. I catch a few of the spells. Wow, this isn't just something that you could learn out a prank book, this is difficult magic. I don't think most of it even comes up this year.

With one last bang, all the Slytherins, except for Regulus Black, are back to normal. With that, the four Marauders take a bow. Everyone except the Slytherins start clapping for them. I join in, not because I approve of pranking, but because it was an excellent display of magic.

Dumbledore's eyes winkle behind his half-moon spectacles. "What an amazing display of magic, brought to by these young men. I wish to keep this speech brief, considering this amazing spread of food. Welcome, all new students and welcome back all returning students! Mr. Filch asked me to remind all students not to use magic in the corridors. Also, there's a list of all banned items outside Mr. Filch's office if you wish to see the list. I must repeat this every year; the Forbidden Forest is out of bounds." His eyes seem to rest upon the Gryffindor table. "All students found wandering in the Forest will receive a detention," he says firmly. "I am delighted to announce the two new Head Students: Lily Evans and James Potter." The Great Hall has gone dead silent. James and I stand up. Finally, after a moment everyone claps, except the Slytherins, but I hardly expected them to. "Which reminds me," Dumbledore continues. "I'd like to see you both in my office after this." I nod and sit down. "That's all that I have to say, so enjoy the feast."

Food appears on the tables. There are so many different things. It's hard to know what to eat.

"Evans, pass the bread." Potter hollers from the seat next to Remus on my left side.

I nod and hand him the basket. "Anyone else want anything?" I ask politely.

"Well...I could use a little..." Sirius trails off suggestively.

I shake my head. "I wasn't asking you, Black."

"Aw, it's been how many years and you still can't call me by my first name." Sirius whines.

"Yeah, because you not Sirius enough." I taunt.

Alice and Marlene start laughing, even the Marauders join in. "Only the Marauders get to make fun of my name." Sirius pouts.