Chapter Eighteen: The Servant's Decision

Hi again! You'll likely understand the tittle of this chapter, if you can remember what Professor Sybill Trelawney's prophecy during the Prisoner of Azkaban was about. If not, wait and see. This is a short chapter as I mentioned previously.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Wormtail’s POV

                I scurry down the staircase, praying that my friends don’t notice that I’m gone. James isn’t there and Sirius sleeps like a log. But Remus…

                None of this was ever really my perfect intention. I’ve always liked having people that would protect me. Only this time, I may have gotten myself in too deep. I-I joined the Dark Lord.

                My friends cannot know. They would never forgive me for this. Sirius ran away from all this pure blood supremacy, James’ family have been some of the Dark Lord’s strongest opposition from ages, and Remus would never put up with this. The one other thing that doesn’t work in my advantage is Lily Evans. James has fancied her for years and now that they’re together, there would be no tolerance for this. James would likely kill me out of fury and if James didn’t, then I’m sure Evans wouldn’t be afraid to.

                I never actually planned to become a full Death Eater. I originally planned to support the Dark Lord and hide in the shadows, never getting too close. But recently, the plan’s changed. I can gain the Dark Lord’s trust much quicker by becoming a full Death Eater. For the first time in my pitiful life, I’ll have true power, not the kind that comes from hiding behind the most popular gang of teenage troublemakers that the school has ever seen. I’ll be powerful enough to make people listen and to do the things that I want to do. There won’t be a restraining bar that prevents me anymore.

                The idea of power makes me giddy.

                “Wormtail, you’re late.” the cold higher pitched voice says hostilely.

                “My apologizes, my lord. T-there was s-slight trouble getting out of the castle.” I squeak.

                “Did anyone see you?”

                “No, my lord.” I assure him.

                “Good. Let us begin.”

                This is it. There’s no turning back. Once, the Dark Mark is tattooed to my forearm, there’s no going back. But for the first time, I’m eager for the pain. I’m tired of hiding behind two filthy bloodtraitors, a half-breed, and filthy mudblood, even if they’ve been my friends. This also will protect me; better protection than James and Sirius could ever give me. True protection and ultimate power.

_____________________________________________________________________

Wormtail is an interesting character, huh? He's hard to write, because you never get a true look at who he was. I personally think that he was someone who craved power and protection. He joins Voldemort in this rushed attempt to gain protection and power, but at this point does he plan on later betraying his friends? Likely, not. I think Peter only thought of them as the rude names that the Slytherins plastered on the Marauders and Lily, simply because he was trying not to back out of this. He honestly thought he wanted this. Slowly, as he gets deeper into it, he starts to lose sight of who he was and who his friends are. The lines become blurred and he dives deeper into it, believing that he's protecting himself.

Sooo, yeah, that's my opinion on Peter Pettigrew (Wormtail). If anyone ever wants to hear more on my different opinions about characters, let me know. I clearly enjoy ranting... :o