Chapter Twenty-Two: James's Reaction, The Howler, and Remus' Troubles

I turn and look at him. I can feel the color draining from my face. “It was… Snape’s owl.” I admit, shamefaced.

                “Joke’s over, who’s was it?”  he laughs.

                “James, it was his,” I mumble.

                The smile on James’ face is rapidly replaced with a scowl. “Why the hell would you meet with Snape and use his owl.” James snaps coldly.

                I fear James’ temper. It shows the instability that we all have, but it seems to be much closer to the surface at the moment. “It was getting ugly and I didn’t have a choice.” I whisper.

                “I can’t bloody believe you! He’s a damn Death Eater, don’t you get it?”

                “I do!” I retort angrily. “I didn’t have bloody choice. Petunia was getting madder by the second and I was positive that she’d kill me!”

                “You’re a witch.”

                “As much as I don’t get along with my sister, I would never do anything to harm her. I’m only trying to fix what’s left of my relationship with my sister!”

                “Did you not think of ours?” he demands. “You went to a Slytherin, knowing that he’s a Death Eater and that he hates me and I hate him. Yet, you just go anyways!”

                “What would you rather I do?” I shout. “Get murdered by my sister, who thinks the stinking world revolves around her?”

                “You’re impossible. You never think things through. You just jump into things without thinking about who you’re gonna hurt!” he sharply declares.

                “I could say the same about you! You’re infuriating! You’re yelling at me over something that I already feel awful about!”

                “Why am I even bothering with this?” he snaps. He turns on his heel and storms away.

                “Leaving so that you have the last word, Potter? It’s really mature of you!” I shout to his back.

                Why the hell did I even come? The tears start falling and I feel crushed. His harsh words echo in my head. ‘You’re impossible. You never think things through. You just jump into things without thinking about who you’re gonna hurt.’ I’ve wrecked Christmas for the Potter Family. Mr. and Mrs. Potter don’t deserve a miserable son to spend Christmas with. The Marauders don’t deserve it either.

                There’s a knock on the door. A tired looking Remus and Sirius walk into the room. “What happened? We heard shouting.”