Chapter Twenty-One: The Unfortunate Turn of Events and Snape

Vernon gets up from the table and storms away. Petunia follows him, with a haughty look of disgust, out of the restaurant.

                Tears fall down my cheeks as I try not to cry out loud. Things went so wrong…

                Flashback

                “What kind of car do you drive?” Vernon asks with a sneer.

                “I have broom instead. It’s the best one on the market in fact!” James counters.

                End of Flashback

                It started with a silly comparing contest and turned into a bragging war. I can’t believe it. Now, it’ll never work out. I really hoped that we’ll be able to get along for a couple of hours for a nice Christmas Evening Dinner, but I guess that was too much to ask for.

                “Lils, I’m really sorry.” James admits with a guilty look on his face. “I shouldn’t have let him make me angry.”

                I scowl at him. “No, you shouldn’t have.” More tears fall onto my dress.

                James pulls his hand into his sleeve and wipes the tears away from my face. “I’m so sorry, Lily.”

                “It was never going to work out.” I mumble. “Wishful thinking on my part.”

                “Maybe with a less arrogant boyfriend, it would have.” James declares. “If you want me to go, then I’ll go.”

                “No,” I whisper hoarsely. “Please stay with me.”

                “I will,” James promises. “Will you come over tomorrow for Christmas Dinner? My parents wanted me to invite you.”

                “That would actually work out great. Vernon’s family is coming over for Christmas dinner, so I was going to escape for a few hours anyways.”

                “Perfect! We don’t open presents until after dinner!”

                “I didn’t get your parents anything.” I admit sadly.

                “Relax; I’ll add your name to my present to them.”

                “Thanks, James.” I kiss him quickly. “Home is going to be a warzone,” I sigh.

                “Do you have a curfew?”

                “No, Mum and Dad trust you, so they said that I could stay out all night. Plus, I’m technically an adult in our world. I’ll be eighteen at the end of January.”

                “I won’t be eighteen until March.”

                “Why were you asking about a curfew?” I ask.

                “Well, you could stay at my house for the night. My parents won’t be home, but they won’t mind.”

                I think about it for a moment. A night, alone, with James. I don’t know if it’s a good idea. But at the same time, I really want to do it. If I do, then…

                “I get it if you don’t want to.”

                “It’s not that,” I promise.